The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom's favorite pretzels come in these jugs:

They hold about 1.5 gallons of water when full to the brim and I now have three of them sitting around. What should I do with them?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hoard them!! For years till you have more than you know what to do with then toss them, only to find 2 weeks later you need one. lol ;) I hold onto good containers like this too. I've used a few for DIY filters for certain projects/experiments and made one into a brine shrimp hatchery. I've seen other cut them down the middle (top to bottom) and use them to make caves or rocky mounds. I plan to use this kind of container when I make my DIY concrete rocks to make concave parts (caves).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm going to go with algae farm. Toss a decent size rock or two in each and grow food algae on them for your algae loving critters, if you have any.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The problem with that type of container as an aquarium is maintaining a reasonably stable temperature of the water. They over heat very quickly. And, they have very limited water surface area, so they tend to have little dissolved oxygen in the water, which isn't good for the fish or plants.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I might also suggest gonzo sized diy co2 containers. I still like the algae idea, I see these types of things in resale shops and make pick up a few for that purpose for feeding my oto. I have some spare air pumps I can use for aeration, if you have an air pump you could do the same. I'm not sure how well they would work for that purpose, @Hoppy made some good points so I will ask if Hoppy what about an algae farm and if those points would apply.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I am not 100% sure but I would imagine Hoppy has the heat from a light source in mind.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When I tried this I had it sitting in a window. Just the light from outdoors, not direct sun, was enough to raise the temperature too high. It was spring, and it got up above 80 degrees outdoors, and about the same indoors, so the water quickly heated up to that, then cooled down at night, and back up the next day - nothing survived!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I meant as nano tanks! :iamwithst

Seriously, you guys are worse than my brother... :icon_roll
Put house plant's and dirt in them.
Lousy idea for live critter's.IMHO
Poor surface area for O2 exchange,unstable temperature control(stressful for shrimp/fishes), easily fouled water with food's/waste.
Only half a step up from the tiny cup's /bowl's/vases that Betta's endure.

My apologies,Hoppy nailed it in post above .
I did not read enough before responding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used these successfully to raise shrimp. It needs live plants and a spot away from direct light. If you keep the house at a stable temp that is. You can also use high light to grow green water and fairy shrimp. Last one I had was up for 2 years with cherry shrimp, but it does take meticulous water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.