The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought three male platies to act as an algae crew and to act as a dither fish for my Betta burdigala, they lived up to my expectations and now munch on algae everyday while the B. burdigala are out and about.

But, every thing has to have a flaw.

The poop.

It comes out in long strands, atleast 3x the length of the fish! It's littering the sand bottom and I don't have anything to clean it up, and a siphon would just suck up the sand too. I don't think it's healthy for it to be there, so I'd like to remove it.

What do I do to get rid of the poop?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Get rid of the sand? :help:

Sorry- I really don't have any answer to this question- thus the reason that I avoid white/light colored substrates like the plague. :tongue:

Only tanks I've seen with white sand that looked nice were either newly laid down or were owned by people who were willing to vacuum up and clean the sand on a regular basis before putting it back in the tank. Never appealed to me, sounds like work. :hihi:

·
Registered
12 Posts
i hold my vaccum about 1/4-1/2 inch above the sand and itll suck up the debris with very little sand. on occasion if i cant get something ill swirl it alittle to get the debris stired up in the water than vaccum it.

Kinda depends on your sand, a few years ago i tried using play sand to save money in a large tank but found it was alot lighter than the pet store brand and the slightest movement would cloud up the water and i could never vaccum it because it was so light it would always get drawn up, since then i've stuck with the pet store brand which i've found to be much heavier and very easy to vaccum and clean.

ive also seen small tanks cleaned with nets, kinda sift thru the sand, takes out the larger stuff, and if you do small amounts at a time it wont stir it up too badly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.