The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm breaking down two of my tanks because I just can't keep up with them anymore. There are hundreds of MTS but I don't know what to do with the poor things. It's impractical to sift through all that sand, I don't have the time to sell them, I don't have another tank I can move them to, and I'd feel terrible just chucking them in the trash can. So what can I do with them? Is there some humane way to euthanize them? :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

-Lisa

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I know a lot of people on here would gladly take them off your hands! I for one would happily take them all.

If they are buried in the substrate and you cannot get them out with ease I suppose you could post a collect it yourself on craigslist, happens a lot here actually, and just have people come to you can scoop out the sand and you can sell it as a sand + snail combo, or you can let them pick out the snails only.

I guess if you wanted to kill them all off, You can drain all the water out of your tank and then gas them with co2, by adding enough seltzer water from the store to cover the substrate by about an inch or two. Or if you are so inclined, hook up a co2 canister and open it up.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Put an Ad on craigslist or here for local pick up. The day before pick up, get a big jar and fill with blanched vegetables and place in your tanks floor. 24 hrs later and you'll have a ton of MTS in the jar. Repeat until you are satisfied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts