The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of jumped the gun and bought some java moss before I was fully ready to use it so I need some ideas. I do not want to do a moss wall in the back, right now I have it suspended in a bag with holes punched in it.

I do have plans on using it in the rear of the tank on planters, right now they are a bit tall and I will be cutting them down to water level which leaves one row of square openings along the front, I have already made one:

The only other idea I have is on the rock cave, 5-6 months ago I added a terrestrial moss to the emerged tip but it has not been doing that great. I suppose I could add it to submerged tips as well, but I have heard/seen of java moss growing up plumbing out of the water which would be perfect. I am considering covering the current terrestrial moss with the java moss what do you think?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I figured out what to do with at least half of it, I loosely stuffed some into one of those baskets you buy aquatic plants in and it floats at the surface. It barely floats, sometimes turns sideways but always rights itself I think this will help it "grow out"

Will this stuff root into my substrate/carpet?

What if I just let it loose to have a jungle-like substrate on top of my gravel? I have dirt under the gravel fyi.

If I let it loose will it just make a mess and clog my filter? How will this effect vacuuming my tank?

Replies please :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you put it in a high flow area it forms a tight mat very quickly.

In my son's tank we stuck a little bit in front of a sponge at the front of his HOB filter and it grows like this. It took it a couple months to get like this, but now I can pull more than 2/3rds of it off to put someplace else, and it will grow back in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it does not like to be touched, so vacuuming up and letting it fall back down may not work. I thought about using only large strands and dropping a little gravel on top of it to help hold it down. If I have it all over my bottom the shrimp will probably come out more to graze on it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
LOL. My filter is behind my rock cave, so at least it will stay out of my filter for the most part. I do not have a carpet for it to get stuck in, just background plants, but I do not want it ending up inside my cave and rotting without light. The key may be to keep few but long strands or does it break off easily?

EDIT: Double basket I made, will keep the moss alive and contained until I am ready for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.