The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local petstore, and they have a good aquatics department. Most of the employees seem to know what they're talking about. Anyway, I went in last week to get some shrimp, and I saw that they had java moss... but the tank was labeled as "microsword". lol. So anyway, the employee who helped me, I told him I wanted some aquatic plants also, so he followed me over while I pointed to the moss. And he said "the java? ok". So he knew it was java moss despite the tank being labeled wrong (+1 for him), so he grabbed a handful and I was like, "eehh, a little less." because I was only going to put some in my small shrimp tank. But he said, It's probably $2.99 for a bunch (he wasn't sure because it was labeled on the tank as "microsword"). So anyway, he took some out of the clump he was holding, and there was still a ton in his hand but I was thinking, "well, I should get as much as I can for the price," rather than paying 2.99 for a tiny "bunch".
So anyway, now I have waaayy too much. haha. I put a little bit in my 1 gallon shrimp cube, but now I'm left with one of those cups where petco keeps their bettas full of the extra moss. I saw a tutorial about how to make a moss carpet, but I was wondering if anyone else has any other ideas. I floated it in my 5 gallon betta tank, but it just looked weird and clumpy because there was too much. And my 55 gallon is too big to have it floating in there.
Any ideas?
Also, is $2.99 a good price for a big handful (or betta cup full) of java moss?

·
Planted Tanker
6,071 Posts
You can attach java Moss to just about anything, a big rock for example. Spread a fine layer of moss over it and wrap regular sewing thread around it. Some people use fishing line. With thread though, it will slowly disintegrate in a few months and by then the moss will be attached.

Here's my 75 gal with java on some rocks and driftwood. The moss is fresh off a heavy trim here. There are more pics in my journal (link in sig)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Someone at some point had a thread about how they braided moss with thread/cord into rope, and then had that growing in a farm tank. The braid allowed the moss to be grown horizontally or vertically, and saved a lot of space. I just kept thinking of shrimp jungle gyms, LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hehe that's cool.
I think I might attach some to rocks and put it in my betta's tank, and I might also try to make a moss carpet for the same tank.
I'll probably still have some left over so then I might try tying some to one of the rocks in my 55 gallon, but those are oddly shaped and I also don't know if I want to pull any of those out and then deal with getting it situated the same way again after attaching the moss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.