The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what to do when substrate runs out of nutrients after 6 month - 1 year. i believe that is how long they last.so do we take out the substrate or add capcule into the substrate.

one more thing. i was thinking about getting seachem black sand type planted substrate. i wanted to know if the black color will fade away or stay black even after the nutrients are gone and how long would it take for the nutrients to be completly gone.

thank you..this question make me feel like newbie

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can always buy root tablets to replenish nutrients in the substrate.

I haven't had much experience with dark substrates (I just switched) but I believe the color is from the material itself, not the nutrients within the material. It should stay black, maybe changing a little bit from other material being mixed in or oxidizing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
IMO substrates will constantly acrue nutrients. You can add nutrients if needed. But I don't think they will ever "run out" of nutients. That said... if you have heavy root feeders like swords you will probably have to add nutrients to the substrate. Much like the water column you have to balance nutrients for the type of plants you have.

The black substrate will not loose its color due to nutrient depletion.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Substrates like Turface/SMS, Eco Complete, and Seachem Flourite are baked clay substrates and do no break down over time. They will last for 20+ years and will constantly absorb nutrients from the water column. Root tabs and water column dosing are all that's needed with these, and at least the water column dosing are needed from day one. The color will not fade. The only reason to replace them is if you just want to.

ADA Aquasoil will break down. Typically it has exhausted it's nutrients in about a year, maybe two. Root tabs and water column dosing will provide all the nutrients after the aqua soil has been depleted. AS will eventually start to break down into a powdery mud after several years. Not really a problem except that it can form anaerobic pockets. Some MTS will take care of it.

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make much since. because i am looking forward to use black sand from seachem. thank you and i dont know how much i will need for 50G tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts