The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem..

It's winter.. the water from the tap is cooold..
The only way I can change the water in my tank is via python. The hood design doesn't allow enough room for the dumping of a bucket. I can't really get my water in there any other way that I can think of but I'm worried about the temperature shocking the fish and plants that are used to being at 78-80 degrees.

What can I do to keep my tank healthy? :icon_redf

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Some day the modern era will come to Kansas and you will have true indoor plumbing with a neat thing called HOT WATER! Then you will be able to adjust the temperature of the water by adding HOT WATER to the cold water stream.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I must use cold water for other reasons...so I fill a large garbage can and heat it. Then with a pump use that water to fill my tanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
what if you added water in stages? then the water heater could heat the added water in increments.
have you thought about creating/buying a system that hooks into the sink inside your house? i think that that might be what rex was getting at...
or you could move to texas--high of 70 degrees today!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Kris said:
or you could move to texas--high of 70 degrees today!
GGGgggrrr! :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
hey barbels--i'm sure we can have the "flip side" of that conversation in august, when i'm looking at 105 in the shade, with humidity! :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Rex Grigg said:
Some day the modern era will come to Kansas and you will have true indoor plumbing with a neat thing called HOT WATER! Then you will be able to adjust the temperature of the water by adding HOT WATER to the cold water stream.
:proud:
My exact thoughts Rex.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pia said:
It's winter.. the water from the tap is cooold..
Pia, why can't you just crack open the hot water faucet a little. Are you concerned about possible contamination from your hot-water heater?

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
If Pia's case is anything like mine - the Python adapter doesn't fit a single faucet in my house. I have to run it outside and use the garden hose. I guess I should change my faucet to something more standard.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Python does sell a universal adapter as well as the plastic and brass threaded inserts.

The universal adapter is essentially a rubber sleeve mated to male threads to fit the pump with a hose clamp to cinch it down.

On many faucets, the strainer must be removed for the regular adapter to fit, but I've lived in five different places and never had a problem getting the adapter to screw in. I have a utility sink now, no adapter even needed, just screws on the spigot.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Any hardware store should sell brass adapters that convert from the faucet's fine thread to a garden hose thread. I've been carrying around the same one over the course of three moves and 20 years :).

Gotta love things that can stand the long haul...too bad most can't be more complex than a $2 brass adapter. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
bharada said:
Any hardware store should sell brass adapters that convert from the faucet's fine thread to a garden hose thread.
Heh heh. You've been lucky. There's 55/64" and 30/32" faucet sizes, and I'm sure a bunch more. I was lucky and only bought one wrong one :wink:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just take the faucet end piece (the part you would unscrew to attach the adapter -- don't know what it's called) to the hardware store with you for comparison.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rex Grigg said:
Ah, yes. Thanks for the sarcasm, but my water heater is extremely old and I don't like the idea of introducing the buildup of minerals into my tank not to mention the calcium. We have to do maintainence on the washer every so often because the tube that fills hot water becomes clogged with mineral buildup. So what you're telling me is that all the stuff that comes out of my hot water is safe for my tank?

Thanks to everyone who replied. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pia, that's what I was guessing (see my first post above). I had the same concerns.... I was suspicious of the hot water because I really cared about my fishies!

I'm no plumber, but I believe that the water never actually touches the heating elements, and that the cold water has the same amount of calcium as the hot water.

Anyway, I've been mixing the hot+cold for over a year with no ill effects on my fish, in fact, I believe the most harmful thing I can do is give them too much of a temperature shock, so I really check the temperature carefully.

With practice, I can adjust my faucets now and make the water come out at just the right temp.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Kris said:
hey barbels--i'm sure we can have the "flip side" of that conversation in august, when i'm looking at 105 in the shade, with humidity! :)
Kris,
Heehee, thank you for your attempted offering of some consolation; however, I am one of those nutbags who prefers too warm weather over too c-c-c-cold. Anytime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts