The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very newbie question, but what do you do when a plant starts melting? then the plant besides it also starts melting and getting some sort of "gooie". Is this some sort of contagious desease? These plants were doing great, growing new leaves and in great shape, suddenly the red ludwiga starts melting, I ended up removing it from the tank, but the surrounding plants are now melting...

All plants in the rest of the tank, except for this particular section are doing great!

Tank is kept at a ph of 6.7 with pressurized Co2, lights are at 2wpg and adding fertz weekly (azoo plant nutrients weekly, sera tablets once monthly direct to substrate). Temp is at 80°

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Did something change that would have put the plants into shock? Could your filter now be more clogged and therefore creating less water circulation, thereby causing this area of the tank to be a "dead zone?" There must be some other criteria at play here...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a little more shade because there´s a Hygro that´s growing really well behind the crypts that are melting, however there´s still very good lighting in that area. The flow to that section is OK, not as good as in other sections of the tank but I can still see the leaves waving gently. I will service the filter this weekend and make sure to clean the inlet very well.

It all started with a red ludwiga that didn´t take well to my tank, from there it´s been spreading to the other plants. With one of the cryptos I took it out, cleaned all the rotten leaves (almost left just the roots and a couple of stems) and planted it back and it´s now growing new leaves.

What else should I do? should I take them all out and "strip" the rotten leaves, and give a good prunning to the Hygro? I love the cryptos and don´t want to loose them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts