The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In August I'll be going on vacation for a week or two, I have a basic CO2 kit and high lights. The person who will be watching my tanks is very forgetful and extremely inexperienced so I am afraid to have them deal with CO2 and such... They barely remember to feed the fish at times. So I'm trying to figure out my options here. I have a lot of plants that require high lights so I'm hesitant to leave lights off for up to two weeks. Should I just leave co2 running all day and night and put a bubbler on a timer for night time? I'll also be going to Japan for possibly a month in December so I'd really like to figure out a long term solution as well. Thank you for the suggestions!
-Heidi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Trim everything down within an inch of their lives, do a big clean and use a timer for the co2 and lights and you should be good for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Hey! First off, you're in Florida. If it's anywhere near Leesburg, I'll take care of your tank hehehe. (Dead flipping serious about this though)

Anyway, on to suggestions. Fish can easily survive a week without food. A couple feedings throughout 2 weeks will be plenty. As for CO2, if it is an electronic solenoid, I suggest a mechanical timer and start dialing it in now. If it is not, then I do suggest running it 24/7 (refill the tank before vacation) and run an air stone on a timer for night time. It is simple and effective. A week or two shouldn't be an issue as far as water changes go, so you should be able to take care of that when you get back.

Your best bet is to find someone more experienced and trust worthy for the longer vacation. Possibly a local enthusiast or a willing family member/friend. A month is too long to just 'YOLO' it and leave the tank to itself. An automated fish feeder wouldn't be out of the question if you can figure out the CO2 before hand and dial in the fish feeder. Eheim (or whatever) has one of the more popular fish feeders. I think it is about $25.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! First off, you're in Florida. If it's anywhere near Leesburg, I'll take care of your tank hehehe. (Dead flipping serious about this though)

Anyway, on to suggestions. Fish can easily survive a week without food. A couple feedings throughout 2 weeks will be plenty. As for CO2, if it is an electronic solenoid, I suggest a mechanical timer and start dialing it in now. If it is not, then I do suggest running it 24/7 (refill the tank before vacation) and run an air stone on a timer for night time. It is simple and effective. A week or two shouldn't be an issue as far as water changes go, so you should be able to take care of that when you get back.

Your best bet is to find someone more experienced and trust worthy for the longer vacation. Possibly a local enthusiast or a willing family member/friend. A month is too long to just 'YOLO' it and leave the tank to itself. An automated fish feeder wouldn't be out of the question if you can figure out the CO2 before hand and dial in the fish feeder. Eheim (or whatever) has one of the more popular fish feeders. I think it is about $25.

Lol thank you for the offer unfortunately I'm on the outskirts of Orlando . The tank only has one little betta fish and so far the past few weeks the nitrates haven't gone anything past 5ppm (thank you plants!). Alright I think I'll run the airstone at night like you suggested that way the plants nor the fish don't suffer! The other tanks should be easy, no CO2 and just some Anubias and newts . Thank you for helping me make that decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
You should be able to walk away for week and everything should be find. If it was me I would forget the co2 why your gone. Cut your lights down to 8 hours are less. I would be real cautious about feeding one fish. Better to underfeed then to over load your system. If your gone two weeks I would feed your fish maybe 4 times the whole time your gone. I think more people have had problems with the people taking care of the tank then the tank just sit there waiting on your return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.