The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling bummed because yesterday I lost an otocinclus. It was fine the day before. I found it dead trapped between a corner of the driftwood and the tank glass. I think it wedged itself in after algae and got stuck. Anyway, now I only have one oto in that tank. I've had poor luck with them- this group lastest longest for me, seven months, but I've gradually lost one after another. I don't want to buy any more from the pet store, but I've thought lately about getting pygmy cories to share that betta tank.... So here are my three ideas-

- If I get a group of 6+ pgymy cories for my 10gal betta tank, will the oto feel comfortable schooling with them, and not be lonely?

- This tank is pretty clean now, very little algae. I could move the lone oto into my thirty-eight gallon, which does have some algae, and he could stuff his tummy, but he'd still be lonely.

- If any of you in the northern VA area keep otos, would you consider giving my fish a new home? This would probably be the best option for him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If you don't want to get more, finding him a new home would be good. I had a lone oto for quite a few months before stocking more. He did hang out with my Cory habrosus and schooled with them. They do look similar and he was always out and about cleaning algae, even by himself. I think some would be fine alone and I've heard some wither away alone.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok- thanks for replying. Well, I think I will try and find some pygmy cories to keep him company, and if I can't, then try and re-home him. Moving him into the other tank would be my last option...

I've just never been able to keep any alive long, that I get from the pet store. I thought this group would finally be the ones who lived long for me, but I just can't seem to keep them well...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had better luck this time around ordering them from someone reputable than from the LFS. Then I QT them and fatten them up with algae wafers, dried seaweed, zucchini etc., & not sure if they actually eat them, but they get very frisky when I feed live baby brine. When I add them to my main tank I try to make sure that they still get those foods. They like a lot of oxygen in the water and that really helps especially when they arrive.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dariofan- I had not tried dried seaweed yet. I didn't realize they need more oxygenated water? I thought my plants would provide enough but this tank has really gentle filtration- a small sponge filter- maybe that's part of the problem then. He was looking really dejected yesterday. Today I gave him an algae rock and he perked up, looks a lot more alert and active, is busy working on that. I've asked the store nearby if they can order me some pygmy cories...

MtAnimals- Well, no way is my tank big enough for a pleco! It's only 10 gal. And I don't have much algae in here anymore, definitely not enough for a fish like that to eat well. Also why I don't want to buy more otos, there's not much in here for them to graze on naturally.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Having a lot of aeration does help, especially if it's in the form of surface agitation. 10 gallons is going to be unforgiving with a group of otos, since you'll have to be feeding them all the time. It can be done, it's just tough.

As you've been told, however, they do hang out with pygmy cories a lot in my experience. Here's a nervous mixed group after having *just* been added to a new tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqHGfSExkQ

...and later on:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Well in that case, I think this fish would be better off in my bigger aquarium. It has stronger flow and more algae present. I'm just nervous about moving him.

As you've been told, however, they do hang out with pygmy cories a lot in my experience. Here's a nervous mixed group after having *just* been added to a new tank:
They look really cute together! What other fish do you have in that tank? it looks nice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cories would be better than nothing, I had the same problem in my 10 gallon with a Betta and 6 peppered cats. I think they need minimum 30 gallons and lots of friends to do well. My cories and Otos love each others company .

I would suggest finding a new home though haha

-->Max

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I moved the fish today. Recently blocked more of the light that was coming in from a window near the tank, and now my betta sees his reflection during part of the day. He gets agitated and I've seen him deliberately chasing the oto. I'm worried he might actually bite it, at the very least is probably stressing it out.

The oto looks happy so far in my bigger tank. It is alert, active and nibbling on flat leaf surfaces almost constantly. I hope it does well in there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I moved the fish today. Recently blocked more of the light that was coming in from a window near the tank, and now my betta sees his reflection during part of the day. He gets agitated and I've seen him deliberately chasing the oto. I'm worried he might actually bite it, at the very least is probably stressing it out.

The oto looks happy so far in my bigger tank. It is alert, active and nibbling on flat leaf surfaces almost constantly. I hope it does well in there.

bettas and their reflections... I had to tape paper where the shiny black filter hangs, he was going insane. .

If he seems happy and healthy and he's lasted a little while, I wouldn't worry. What can ya do besides giving him to a LFS where theres a good chance the next owner won't be as caring.

As for the Betta harassing him.... Watch carefully and I'd try to separate them if possible. Mine also didn't get along with Otos simply because they have no regard for the bettas territory and personal space.... They aren't the brightest fish haha. Hopefully if you fix the reflection issue, the Betta will calm down and leave him alone .

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't want to give it to the pet store, the otos there never look too great. Yeah, the reflectiveness is a problem. I don't want so much light getting in the side of the tank because some of the plant stems bend sideways to reach it and look funky. I'd rather they stand up straight reaching for the overhead light strip. I think I need something more matte to cover that side...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't want to give it to the pet store, the otos there never look too great. Yeah, the reflectiveness is a problem. I don't want so much light getting in the side of the tank because some of the plant stems bend sideways to reach it and look funky. I'd rather they stand up straight reaching for the overhead light strip. I think I need something more matte to cover that side...

Yeah they don't do so well at any pet store. Can't really help you with the lighting issue.
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.