The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I just lost all of my cory sterbai, and they all died in various different ways. Some looked like they had gill flukes, some wasted away and died, one lost control of its swim bladder, one clearly had a bloated stomach or other internal parasite looking symptoms, and I think that covers it all. What I'm afraid of is that since the deaths have all looked very different, could this have been something like fish TB?

I feel like bleaching everything is the way to go, but what's the best way to go about this? By this, I mean that once I pour the bleach mix into the tank and soak the filter and heater and everything, how do I make sure that all of the bleach has been rinsed out? Can I be confident that it's all gone after a couple thorough rinsings, or is there a better way to tell (so that if I put new fish in there, I can be confident that there isn't a trace of bleach left).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
run it under constant running fresh water for an hour imo is the best way but i could be wrong and its a big waste of water but i dont pay for the water here so no biggy for me, im curious to know if there is a more efficient way to be certain, most of the time i use a salt saturated dip for all my tools and 100% vinegar soaks for equipment like pumps fake plants and tanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
You should not have to bleach your tank, and I would not recommend using bleach at all on your aquarium ever. If you knew what exactly the problem was, then it would be possible to use medicines or water additives to safely treat your tank to make it safe again. In a lot of cases, especially with freshwater tanks, saltwater will take care of your problem and it is a lot safer to use. (Without knowing what specifically the problem is, salt is a good non-toxic treatment option, as is raising the temp in your tank to about 85 F.) If you do use any chemicals (like bleach) to clean your tank and its contents, be ABSOLUTELY sure that there is no residue before putting the tank back together again. I would rinse everything very thoroughly: then rinse it some more. And some more. Take a bucket and fill it about halfway with water. Add twice the amount of dechlorinator for the amount of water you have, let it sit for a while to work, then put the substrate, decorations, filter, heater etc. into the bucket to sit for a few hours. Switch the water out and do this again. Several times. While you are doing this, fill your tank with water that has been dechlorinated. Rinse it out. Do it again. You get the idea. Like the post before mine, I would recommend using vinegar to using bleach as it is organic and non-toxic. (I use vinegar to clean the outside glass on my tanks for exactly this reason.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
I checked out the pics of your tank: my cat sits in front of my tanks just like your does. He is mesmerized by the fishes and sits there like a little zombie for hours on end. Fish tanks= Cat television.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
If you're going to use a cleaner, bleach is the way to go. In addition to rinsing, an extra dose of dechlorinator would help. Bleach is just extra concentrated chlorine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,186 Posts
simple, cheap, available everywhere, H2O2.
3% hydrogen peroxide above 10ml per gallon I haven't seen anything it doesn't kill.

simple, cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,391 Posts
simple, cheap, available everywhere, H2O2.
3% hydrogen peroxide above 10ml per gallon I haven't seen anything it doesn't kill.

simple, cheap
+1 and you do not have to worry about any chemicals being left behind, H2O2 breaks down quickly leaving only water in its wake lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Bleach is safe after it no longer smells like bleach, because it is no longer bleach. It will dechlorinate itself after 2-4 days. But I'm a bleachaholic; I defend my chemical of choice to the end. Soaking anything really nasty (like fish TB, though it can be bleach-resitant) in there for 10 minutes straight will kill everything. Rinse well, as with anything.

Then again, never tried h2o2. Will try it sometime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
I use bleach all the time to disinfect my betta tanks and equipment after one passes away. Just rinse everything really well afterwards and then do a final rinse with water containing alot of dechlor. I usually rinse well, then fill the tank up with water, add alot of dechlor and let the equipment soak in the water for a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
You should not have to bleach your tank, and I would not recommend using bleach at all on your aquarium ever. If you knew what exactly the problem was, then it would be possible to use medicines or water additives to safely treat your tank to make it safe again. In a lot of cases, especially with freshwater tanks, saltwater will take care of your problem and it is a lot safer to use. (Without knowing what specifically the problem is, salt is a good non-toxic treatment option, as is raising the temp in your tank to about 85 F.) If you do use any chemicals (like bleach) to clean your tank and its contents, be ABSOLUTELY sure that there is no residue before putting the tank back together again. I would rinse everything very thoroughly: then rinse it some more. And some more. Take a bucket and fill it about halfway with water. Add twice the amount of dechlorinator for the amount of water you have, let it sit for a while to work, then put the substrate, decorations, filter, heater etc. into the bucket to sit for a few hours. Switch the water out and do this again. Several times. While you are doing this, fill your tank with water that has been dechlorinated. Rinse it out. Do it again. You get the idea. Like the post before mine, I would recommend using vinegar to using bleach as it is organic and non-toxic. (I use vinegar to clean the outside glass on my tanks for exactly this reason.)
Bleach is actually little to fear. What I do is simple: drain tank(don't use substrates in qt tanks) and pull equipment. I spray everything with a bleach water solution and let dry in sun. You'll notice bleach evaporates and leaves behind ordinary salt. Bleach solutions should be mixed on the day of use, as the degrade very quickly.

I then rinse the tank with water and make sure no smell of chlorine is left behind. Dechlor and away we go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
Bleach is actually little to fear. What I do is simple: drain tank(don't use substrates in qt tanks) and pull equipment. I spray everything with a bleach water solution and let dry in sun. You'll notice bleach evaporates and leaves behind ordinary salt. Bleach solutions should be mixed on the day of use, as the degrade very quickly.

I then rinse the tank with water and make sure no smell of chlorine is left behind. Dechlor and away we go.
I tend to err on the side of caution with anything that may hurt my fishes, but this explanation and suggestion makes good sense. I also like the h2o2 suggestion posted earlier, which also makes good sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
10:1 water to bleach. Or greater. 1.5 cups per gallon. ish.

I use it in spray form, and don't bother making more than you need as it rapidly degrades and becomes useless in short order once mixed with water.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
20% (1cup bleach to 4 cups water) for soaking stuff and I just pour it straight up into a tank to get rid of lime scale and to clean it in general. Go at it with an old credit card and paper towels. Where gloves and eye protection though...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
577 Posts
I just pour it out of the bottle and then fill the tank up and let it sit. I've never measured. After sitting for 24hrs, I siphon it out partially and use gloves and a new sponge and wipe under the rim; all nooks and crannies. Siphon the rest out and refill with tap, add prime. I repeat the process and then let it sit dry for a couple of days before using it.

Overkill, I know. . .

In the meantime, I soak all my nets and soak the python in bleach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
yeah I just dump some in - alot - let it sit, then rinse rinse rinse and then rinse again with dechlor. I never measure but it's a strong solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Then again, never tried h2o2. Will try it sometime.
It works wonders on anything that doesn't have the catylase enzyme. It doesn't do much of anything against those that do not unless it's fairly concentrated.

Boring old bleach (not necessarily some color-fast, oxyclean enhanced super bleach) is almost entirely sodium hypochlorite. +1 to using it for this, it's completely safe as long as you take care to rinse the tank and let it dry, or rinse a few times and use a healthy dose of dechlor.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top