The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i admit it, i bought a fish on a whim. i bought a 5in apollo shark, thinking he could either live in a 55 with mbuna cichlids, or in a 15 community with neons/platys/etc.... i thought he would be fine with the mbunas because he fit the description of dither fish to a tee: fast and nonagressive. apparantly the mbunas are faster though, and hes missing a few scales and has a rip in his tail fin. i moved him to the 15, but he can barely move in it, and hes like a bala shark: they need length to move.i cant take him back to the store because the warrantys up, so what do i do?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I heard that a humane way to end a fish's life is to put it in a little tupperware container with some tank water, then put it in the freezer. As the water temperature slowly drops, the fish will go in to some sort of suspended animation, then unconscious, then die without enduring any pain.

I've never tried it cuz my wife would kill me if I put a fish in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've never tried it cuz my wife would kill me if I put a fish in the freezer.
many years ago i had a ball python (still have it actually) and i decided to buy frozen mice in bulk. to say the least my mother was not happy finding 50 frozen mice in her freezer! it was kind of fun when guests came over and i threw a bag of rats at them.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I tried for about a month to give away 5 silver tip tetras here and a couple other fish boards. Since I didn't want to ship they ended up in my 3g to help cycle it. They all made it through the cycle. Yesterday I took them back to the same store and one of the girls that works there said she was gonna take them home. Said she'd never seen them look so fat and colorful. I'd had them for about 3 months. lol
I have a couple tanks here at the shop that I keep new fish in. You can call it a QT but it's really so I can see how they behave. I'm not fond of chasey (is that a word?) fish.

Any of our independent stores will take fish of my hands but I don't expect anything back in return.

SteveU

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would never put down a fish just because I don't want it. Only time I euthanize is to end suffering. Every LFS I've encountered will take fish for free. Some may give store credit in exchange.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Hand him off to a LFS is the best way to go. Of the three in my area I chose the one which showed the best consistent tank care and hand off plant trimmings, extra spawn off spring I'm not keeping that sort of thing. Once when I had an issue with a pump the owner 'loaned' me one until I got mine fixed. Goodwill has value too, not just a small store credit when trading back and forth.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, im going to put him in the freezer now. (softly hums taps) LOL JK JK JK im going to try to take him back today or tomorrow lol. i found another lfs that will probably take him :icon_bigg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only fish in my freezer is a 1/2lb of sashimi grade ahi tuna, some salmon, and a 1/4lb chilean seabass :icon_mrgr lol not eco-friendly but i dont get it often. i wasnt able to go to the lfs today, went to IKEA

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just to further the notion, take it to a pet store. I asked my LFS (petco) if they'd take my un-wanted critters, just to be safe, and they said if it's something they can't sell or don't keep in stock that they'll take him if they have a tank suitable, and that if it's something they have in stock they'll give me store credit equal to it's resale value.

Would be cool if they had RCS in stock, I could just breed those like crazy and sell em' to petco for store credit, at the rate they'd breed I'd have 1,000 worth of store credit and a brand new tank in no time! haha.

·
Registered
283 Posts
my mother was not happy finding 50 frozen mice in her freezer! it was kind of fun when guests came over and i threw a bag of rats at them.
I have a few pythons and go the frozen route as well. One time in college, we had a huge party at our apartment. The next day we found 10 thawed jumbo rats in the hallway.:angryfire

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have a few pythons and go the frozen route as well. One time in college, we had a huge party at our apartment. The next day we found 10 thawed jumbo rats in the hallway.:angryfire
did you ever defrost them on top of your heat lamp and forget about it? lovely aroma when you find it the next day!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I actually have 2 tiger barbs left in my tank when i decided that only having 4 in a 12 gallon would be fine. It was good for a couple months, but I woke up and one was missing a stomach, and then another one went through the same thing. My biggest guy is getting hit by karma and is getting destroyed by the smaller one. I don't want the tiger barbs anymore because I want to add either apisto's or bolivian rams to my 29, but the Petsmart and Petco and Aquarium Adventure will not take them because they could be diseased. What would you guys do in this situation? I'm capable of euthanizing the one getting beat up constantly because he is slowly dying, but the new bully will be by himself destroying the other fish in my tank. I feel bad killing him, but I really don't know what to do with him. Someone helpp!

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Bag him and leave him at the front door of a LFS BEFORE they open. With it leave a note that you lost your job and can't afford fish food anymore for "Teddy the Tiger Barb". lol

Really, we have both Pet-Giants in our area and they won't take fish back. But four independents within 15 miles would all take them for free. I took 5 Silver Tip Tetras to one last week and the girl said they looked so nice she was going to put them in her tank at home. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bag him and leave him at the front door of a LFS BEFORE they open. With it leave a note that you lost your job and can't afford fish food anymore for "Teddy the Tiger Barb". lol

Really, we have both Pet-Giants in our area and they won't take fish back. But four independents within 15 miles would all take them for free. I took 5 Silver Tip Tetras to one last week and the girl said they looked so nice she was going to put them in her tank at home. lol

SteveU
I have one independent pet store which is on the verge of closing down and I called before asking and they said the same thing. I guess im just unlucky.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.