The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're like a 1/4" long, at most, thin as fine hair, white, and squirming around the tank; notice one or two at a time, most often in the morning. Not sure what they could be and the LFS (both of them) didn't even want to try to ID them, even with my having brought them to the stores, but they either came with the plants, or the fish (ordered online).

I've gotten rid of all my fish, as they required too much water maintenance for me, and am going to get some new ones in a little while, but I'm wondering what to do about these worms.

Might they die now that the fish are gone or will they feed on the plants, snails, shrimp, and/or gravel? I had scooped one out and put it in a cup, it seemed to disappear within a couple days. I had noticed a lot of worm looking stuff come up real quick when I vacuumed a spot in the gravel, but I thought that perhaps there was a very small chance that was just some old root material, then again, maybe not.

I guess only time will tell, but I was eager to get the new fish. Probably should run a filter on the tanks for a week, or something. Is there any medicine I could get? Will it harm any plants, shrimp, or snails?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I had some of those at one point before I added fish. They didn't do anything but squirm, and they vanished (presumably eaten) when I added fish. I'm pretty sure they eat gunk. Probably came with your plants.
A lot of people just post pictures of things that need IDs in the inverts section.
Question... If you got rid of your fish before because they were too much work, why are you getting more? Were you just really busy then, or did you have something really fussy?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Question... If you got rid of your fish before because they were too much work, why are you getting more? Were you just really busy then, or did you have something really fussy?

The aquariums weren't even the bare minimum for the fish being kept, especially considering how I want it to be very low maintanance (I'm a year new into the hobby and a bit misguided). I'm only getting a few small fish next time. I'm also thinking of emptying the hexagon tank most the way, making it mostly terrarium.

As for getting a pic, I'd probably need a digital microscope to get a good postable pic of this thing. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts