The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully that is my biggest problem right now in my tank. The plants are all growing faster than I can trim them, sprouting new leaves and stems like crazy. Fish are happy, glass is almost free of algae, but what bugs me is the brown algae that covers some of my plant leaves. It's really light, so that if I rub the leaves between my fingers it slides off immediately. But, sometimes the leaves that get covered by it start breaking, melting and dying, I am assuming due to lack of light. Also, it doesn't look good up close.

Any idea what may be causing it and what to do about it? Btw, I dose Excel daily and it doesn't seem to do anything to this algae.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd cut down your lighting (at least photoperiod if not go down to only 1 bulb, or raise it further off the tank) and get some Otos for the tank.

Good chance you'll need pressurized CO2 to keep up with that level of lighting.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
if they are Diatoms, I found that my little amano shrimp absolutely LOVE the diatoms, they ignore the shrimp pellets I add each night, and sit on the plants and clean away. Just need to make sure none of the fish you are keeping can fit them in their mouths, or they will be an expensive snack.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd cut down your lighting (at least photoperiod if not go down to only 1 bulb, or raise it further off the tank) and get some Otos for the tank.

Good chance you'll need pressurized CO2 to keep up with that level of lighting.
Too much light? Hmm... Well... I guess I am kind of managing my lighting by way of having a ton of floating green pods (no idea what they're called, the ones that have very gentle and pretty roots), and they block out a lot of light. I was going to give them to an LFS because they are starting to overtake the top of the tank but maybe I'll keep them.

I have already cut down on my lighting actually, it used to be on between 12pm and 10pm and now it's on between 2:30pm and 10:30pm. I guess I can go down to 7 hours, no big deal there.

I'm having fun with the DIY Co2 and knowing that it costs only cents per week to run it and getting some great results from it (well at least the sunset hygro wants to take over the tank completely). So, I'll try reducing the light.

As for Otos, I keep an open tank and I've heard they are jumpers. Should i be concerned?

if they are Diatoms, I found that my little amano shrimp absolutely LOVE the diatoms, they ignore the shrimp pellets I add each night, and sit on the plants and clean away. Just need to make sure none of the fish you are keeping can fit them in their mouths, or they will be an expensive snack.
Yeah... I can't keep shrimp - my 4 angels would have a pretty expensive snack I'm afraid.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Otos aren't really jumpers. They will "dive" for the surface of the tank to grab air from time to time, like many catfish do to regulate their swim bladders, but any jumping from the tank would be completely accidental. I've lost lots of fish from jumping, but never an Oto that I know of?

I'd definitely keep the floating plants. Sounds like you may have Pistia- which is one of my personal favs. When it's time to thin them out, you could sell them here in the S&S, too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chinese algae eaters love that stuff. One would have your tank clean in 2 days. Dont keep him in there though as they become boisterious to other slow moving fish when they get bigger. Ive heard people say that they can eat plants but mine never have. This link is informative http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm Lately Ive heard alot about Garra Pingi Pingis being the best algae eaters. I dont know much about them other than that. Im interested though.

Pat

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to report that the surface of my tank is now almost completely covered by the floating plantlets. I still have the CO2 going but I cut the Excel treatments in half. The tank is as beautiful as ever, plants are growing well and there is no brown algae on leaves. Seems that I did have too much light!

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's good to hear! Brown algae can be a pain.

The floating plants all seem to take over really quick; I got some duckweed by accident once and I was scooping out 2-4 cups a week to get rid of because it grew way too fast and blocked my plants from getting enough light (I have lower light than you do).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.