The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some algae growing in my tank, a little on the glass, and a little bit more on the Rotala Indica.

I don't want it to spread throughout the tank too much and start covering everything, that'll be worse.

What should I do?

Btw - I run the 65 watt Coralife lights for about 4 hours a day over the 60cm ADA tank.

I could do DIY CO2 and start dosing ferts, however I was hoping to keep this tank as simple as possible and just for seeing how the breeding goes.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
For one, are you sure it's the type of algae the shrimp won't eat? I guess algae on the glass is probably GSA. For a remedy, you could add otoclinius cats. Mine did just fine with the shrimp. As for the cause of the algae, maybe try moving the light up a ways, use more floating plants, and get some seachem's excel!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yeah follow the above advice.. Be careful with excel and also you could remove it manually...

If its a shrimp tank and they eat algae, why worry about it?

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
At least you know they won't be starving. I actually moved some hair algae from my main tank to my shrimp tank as I was afraid there wasn't enough for my RCS to eat. I wouldn't worry about it. Get some otto's maybe, but I don't even have any fish in there. Didn't want to take any chances with baby shrimp getting eaten.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts