The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've successfully bred and sold all my oebt's, btoe, crs. Gassed my successful colony of TT's....

Wondering what to move onto next.
A learning curve but I managed to breed close to a 100 of each and now I'm wondering what could I do with my last semester in school.

I got 3 months.
A 5-10 gallon tank.
Access to R/O water.
FSS substrate only.

Shrimp needs to be able to tolerate a 8 hr car ride home eventually at the end of the year.

Go simple and breed a neo? I feel like TB's need more stability than what I can provide

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I agree broski, why don't you try some type of crabs? Thai Micro Crabs are a 10 on the scale of difficulty, but there are others like Mud Crabs (ask Douglas) that have a chance of surviving freshwater. They are neat, tiny and survive small spikes from moving.

Another thing you might try is breeding out a blue strain of chocolate like the guy you purchased some from.

And the last thing you might try is your own supreme red strain with 100% red males and females.

That's what is 'easy' and comes to my mind.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TBs are as easy as CRS. You've already bred BTOEs, they're the hardest IMO.
I actually had the easiest time with BTOE. I started with 4 and the population just exploded from there. I left them home this semester and was gonna start them up at school but got lazy lol.

I actually had the most trouble with OEBT and Golden Snows getting bacterial infections but thats all set and done nowadays.

I might consider TB's but they're $30+ a piece hahahaha......so if I want to do them I want to do them right.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cardinals, mine are breeding really well now, I've got hundreds
You know I've never really read up on the cardinals. Finding a source will be difficult and toying around with water will be a new experience. My school has naturally alkaline water so maybe.....

Thai Micro Crabs.
I heard these guys hide a lot.....I like my guys up and around.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Breed larval stage shrimp like amanos. Your neighbors will think you're setting up a meth lab.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Breed larval stage shrimp like amanos. Your neighbors will think you're setting up a meth lab.
Haha now that's a challenge I'm not willing to take on, besides malayan shrimp. I never see those guys though.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
nerites, amanos and micro crabs are all pretty tough (the former two because of the SW component. the latter is just as hard to feed in the larval stage as the others) Same deal with gold spot shrimp. tough because of all the effort and money you have to sink into it in order to make correct setups for breeding and culture their food.

cardinals might not survive a long drive home because they need stable warm water. a car might get too cold.

You can try to breed neon green bibaulti shrimp or neon green cherries. not a lot of quality ones around. could be a nice new shrimp to keep on black substrate.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
nerites, amanos and micro crabs are all pretty tough (the former two because of the SW component. the latter is just as hard to feed in the larval stage as the others) Same deal with gold spot shrimp. tough because of all the effort and money you have to sink into it in order to make correct setups for breeding and culture their food.

cardinals might not survive a long drive home because they need stable warm water. a car might get too cold.

You can try to breed neon green bibaulti shrimp or neon green cherries. not a lot of quality ones around. could be a nice new shrimp to keep on black substrate.
8 hour car ride is nothing to some cardinals, shoot, if they couldn't survive 8 hours in a heated car, they'd never make it from my doorstep to a customers, haha.

But yeah, cardinals are fun, I plan on selling another few batches when some of my females hatch out their eggs. I started breeding them by accident, I had a holding tank for them, and when I imported a bunch for a customer, I had one left that was berried and I didn't want to ship out because of stress. That one hatched its babies and those babies have been making babies, etc. etc. for a while now. So technically the colony all started from 1 shrimp, hah.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
8 hour car ride is nothing to some cardinals, shoot, if they couldn't survive 8 hours in a heated car, they'd never make it from my doorstep to a customers, haha.

But yeah, cardinals are fun, I plan on selling another few batches when some of my females hatch out their eggs. I started breeding them by accident, I had a holding tank for them, and when I imported a bunch for a customer, I had one left that was berried and I didn't want to ship out because of stress. That one hatched its babies and those babies have been making babies, etc. etc. for a while now. So technically the colony all started from 1 shrimp, hah.
haha well then you know who to contact when you do. Also any pointers on params?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

It's nice that they find sweet spot in your tank.I have mine going with some good and some bad times.
When I mention Sulawesy for breeding I mention Harlequine one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.