The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed almost all my tangerine tiger shrimp from a 30 gal pleco breeding tank. Heavily planted and also heavily infested with gammarus shrimp, Gammarus shrimp are egg eaters and I am positive are responsible for the death of 4 clutches of L340 eggs and several already hatched L316 fry. I moved the L316 cave with the dad into the tank, the dad left the cave and most of the little fry ventured out of the cave. The eggs sacks of all of them were eaten and the fry died. Only the 5 fry that stayed inside the cave were still alive when I found the carnage. Therefore the gammarus have got to go or at least be reduced in numbers. I have manually taken out over 500 during the last 3 weeks and with the tangerine tigers gone, I am now ready to add some fish to eat at least the newly hatched gammarus to control their numbers. Due to the many plants it will have to be small fish that will not be able to eat pleco fry.
I have available dwarf cory fry (hastatus and habrosus) that could stay even when grown up, CPDs, black darter tetras, micro rasboras and African dwarf frogs. What would be the best to add to the tank of those as I do not want to buy new fish with the possible exception of a few dwarf puffers? But I read a report from one guy that actually bred dwarf puffers that his would not eat gammarus. If anyone can second that for the dwarf puffers than they are out of the running.

·
Registered
844 Posts
what I do with my daphnia is try to get as many out of the tank as possible and leave only baby for the nano fish to munch on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
From what i can see, looks like they fear minimum 4 schooling cory pygmy
Doubt it will eradicate them, but i see less actuviy from the scud

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I would put in a Molly, those things eat anything! I use Newborn guppy fry to eat planaria, and those white jumping fleas, and the white detritus worms. My female molly will eat anything. I heard Tiger barbs will eats scuds, but I have personally never tried it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts