The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large number of blackworms living in the substrate (soil w/ sand cap & gravel) of my 10 gallon tank. I'd like to trap some to move to an easier to access culture. I tried putting some crumpled brown paper in a planter and just leaving it until the worms crawled in, but they seem uninterested in it.

Apparently they prefer whatever is in the tank to the paper (which is unfortunate for whichever ones I get out, because that's what'll be on the menu). Any ideas for a good bait that won't foul up the water too bad? currently there is only CRS in the tank and the worms have gotten cocky, they are always sticking out of the substrate, and often even crawl on top, but they are quicker than me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pretty sure (maybe mostly sure) the worms I have in my shrimp tank are blackworms and they really like the blanched zucchini I feed the shrimp. I can often see them coming up through the substrate and into the zucchini to eat.
Not sure it would work for a trap (mine don't generally come out far enough I could nab any before they pull back into the substrate, those suckers are quick), but worth a try.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda just left my trap in the tank and forgot about it, until I got some CPDs for the tank today. I pulled the pot of paper out and there were 7 worms in the crumpled paper. Not a lot to start a culture with, but maybe I'll try again with some blanched zucchini in the middle of the paper crumble.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I kinda just left my trap in the tank and forgot about it, until I got some CPDs for the tank today. I pulled the pot of paper out and there were 7 worms in the crumpled paper. Not a lot to start a culture with, but maybe I'll try again with some blanched zucchini in the middle of the paper crumble.
I'm a bit confused. I know nothing about trapping blackworms, but I'd think some sort of bait would be necessary. Why should they move to the paper if they have a perfectly good spot in their substrate?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.