The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what kind of deficiency this is caused by?
I've been doing a ton of research online but have been finding mixed answers.

This has only been affecting only a few newer leaves of my java fern and anubias.
They are both tied to rocks, with their rhizomes above the substrate.
Some other plants I have are: Java moss, flame moss, red cabomba, crypt nevilli, brazillian micro sword, 1 marimo ball, pellia and anacharis.

I have a 6 gallon Fluval edge with 2 mr16 leds, 1x13w 6500k cfl. My tank runs at around 23.5 C. I'm not sure about exact water parameters since I haven't tested those in a while (everything's been good in the past test-history-wise).

I keep up with water changes 1-2x per week. I have 3 male guppies and some shrimp.

I dose 1x week the Seachem liquid Plant fundamentals (excel, iron, flourish). Maybe I should be dosing more often? Or am I missing some other ferts?

I look forward to getting some feedback.. This is seriously puzzling me!

I apologize for the terrible photo quality, I don't currently have a tripod so I did the best I could!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
makes sense, as I've noticed that change from the newer leaves.. but the browning edges? What could cause that? It's so strange because my anubias plants look generally healthy :eek: and the leaves it happens to aren't even old or anything..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@jkan0228: I really doubt it's algae because the leaf looks almost transparent.. it's not so much brown stuff on the leaf :/ and like I said, I don't have anything else wrong with my other plants.. it just affects one or two leaves of my anubias plant..

+1 to pancakes!! :D

Carbon? Too much excel you think? I only dose 1/4 cap about 1-2 week.
Nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency, what product do you recommend for that?

Thanks everyone for the input :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Carbon? Too much excel you think? I only dose 1/4 cap about 1-2 week.
Nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency, what product do you recommend for that?
I don't know anything about excel...but carbon limitation can cause plants to look like they have other deficiencies. Carbon is the most important plant nutrient. I guess if you're following the directions for applying excel you have enough carbon. Again, I don't know anything about excel or how good it is at providing carbon.

I use KNO3 for nitrogen fertilizing, it's a powder. For phosphorus you can use many things, some common ones are KH2PO4, Fleet enema, K2HPO4, flourish phosphorus. It'll take some time figuring out how much your tank needs. (that's sort of the fun of planted tanks). Light is the driving force behind everything in your tank. Higher light, needs more carbon, more fertilizers etc. Lower light needs less of all the above.

Just fyi, the EI dosing recommendations are based on tanks with high light + CO2. You can adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@jkan0228: I'm currently dosing Seachem's Flourish Iron, Excel and Fundamental. I'm pretty sure that the excel is harming my anacharis but my anubias seems to be doing generally fine, a lot of great growth.. just one or two leaves has this browning.. I guess I'll just trim it off and hope for the best lol

I also did try diy c02 but due to the tank's very small opening I was having some problems with co2 overdose and ended up killing a few shrimps :( I think I'm going to stay away from that risk for now! I am going to be increasing my lighting with a dual clf bulb mod soon so I may reconsider setting up the diy co2.

@BlueJack: Please excuse my ignorance but where do you purchase your ferts? Do you mix them yourself? I don't know if my light right now is high enough to require too much co2, but it can't hurt I guess. Like I previously mentioned I had a bad experience with diy co2 so I think i'll stick with excel for now. If things get worse I'll try another alternative (probably go diy co2 but make the weakest batch possible so that I don't risk killing any inhabitants >.<)

@CKJ I'm no expert but I don't think it's a kind of algae, the holes look more like a scrape more than something growing on the leaf. I'm not sure if pondsnails are responsible for this or if it could be due to a deficiency. I only have them on one or two leaves.

Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
@BlueJack: Please excuse my ignorance but where do you purchase your ferts? Do you mix them yourself?
Most people buy them online since they're very inexpensive when you buy in bulk, like 5 lb bags or something like that. I didn't want to wait for shipping so I went out and bought household items that contain the exact same ingredients at a slight premium. For KNO3(potassium nitrate) I use spectracide stump remover and for phosphates I use Fleet Saline Enema . Since you're familiar with seachem products you can buy flourish nitrogen and flourish phosphorus, but I think they really mark up the price compared to the other 2 ways.

I don't know if my light right now is high enough to require too much co2, but it can't hurt I guess. Like I previously mentioned I had a bad experience with diy co2 so I think i'll stick with excel for now. If things get worse I'll try another alternative (probably go diy co2 but make the weakest batch possible so that I don't risk killing any inhabitants >.<)
I hear you on that. I have a fluval edge as well and don't use any CO2 on that tank. I have before, and killed my fish that way. :icon_cry: You're right, adding some ferts definitely won't hurt. With no CO2 and low light, I just fertilize once a week. 1/8 tsp of KNO3 (~17ppm of N, 11ppm of K) and 6 drops of Fleet(2ppm of PO4) then I'll dump in 2 ml of Flourish comprehensive(I think that's the what you called fundamental?) for my micros....I also do weekly water changes. So far so good.

Sometimes you'll have leaves that just don't look healthy. Just cut those off so the plant can send it's resources to the new growth.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello! Sorry for the delay in responses.

@BlueJack: Thanks for sharing some of the products you use. How did you find out about these if you don't mind me asking? I bet they didn't believe you when you picked up an enema and said it was for your tank hahaha

I think sticking to seachem products on such a small tank won't hurt my wallet too much, it's when it comes to dosing larger tanks that using the more expensive products gets really costly.

You're totally right about having those ugly leaves, I think the best thing to do is just trim them, encourage growth and hope the new ones will be prettier :)

@h c: In my first post I mentioned that I did water changes 1-2/ week. I do about a 25% water change (more or less).

·
Registered
736 Posts
@BlueJack: Thanks for sharing some of the products you use. How did you find out about these if you don't mind me asking? I bet they didn't believe you when you picked up an enema and said it was for your tank hahaha

I think sticking to seachem products on such a small tank won't hurt my wallet too much, it's when it comes to dosing larger tanks that using the more expensive products gets really costly.

You're totally right about having those ugly leaves, I think the best thing to do is just trim them, encourage growth and hope the new ones will be prettier :)
I found out about those things through the internets.....ya, I can imagine what the cashier was thinking when I strolled up there with a twin pack of fleet enema. I did the old, throw in a snickers bar and some ticktacks trick to try and disguise it. :icon_bigg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello! Sorry for the delay in responses.
@h c: In my first post I mentioned that I did water changes 1-2/ week. I do about a 25% water change (more or less).
Oops, I missed that somehow, haha. Anyways, the reason why I asked is because I used to have a similar problem with my Anubias Nana when I changed the water too often. The leaves would start getting dark green spots then eventually melt away.

I'd suggest you change the water less unless its absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also did try diy c02 but due to the tank's very small opening I was having some problems with co2 overdose and ended up killing a few shrimps :( I think I'm going to stay away from that risk for now! I am going to be increasing my lighting with a dual clf bulb mod soon so I may reconsider setting up the diy co2.

Like I previously mentioned I had a bad experience with diy co2 so I think i'll stick with excel for now. If things get worse I'll try another alternative (probably go diy co2 but make the weakest batch possible so that I don't risk killing any inhabitants >.<)
Threadjack: I am about to start DIY CO2 on my Edge...now I am concerned. What was your water hardness? What would you do to make a weak batch? I have a bunch of RCS (35+) and 7 neon tetras, and am heavily planted.

Alternatively, could I disconnect it for a few hours a day?

I had asked some months back whether I would be likely to gas things with DIY CO2 in an Edge and I was laughed off the forum (okay, exaggeration), but now I am concerned! :icon_eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.