The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of people have been talking about their tank plans/upgrades for this holiday season. My wife is giving me the money to buy a rimless 40g breeder from Glass Cages. So that's my plan. What are yours?

·
Registered
189 Posts
A 40 breeder T5HO lighting and a canister filter (still havent decided on brands, specs and such on the last two) from my mom and my live-in boyfriend is going to supply plants to fill in the upgrade size and help me out on my CO2. He manages a restaraunt and can get me CO2 tanks for CHEAP! I haven't had him do this yet because I'm holding off for the upgrade and keeping my 10gal low-tech. Also, my little sister plans on buying obscene amounts of dry ferts for me.

Plus I have numerous requests for LiveAquaria gift certificates, cash $$$ to be spent on flora and fauna, etc in with friends and extended family.

As for what I'm giving? Well...nothing PT-worthy, as I'm the only aquarium nerd out of people I know personally. I'm working on changing that, of course.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aquarium nerd
that's funny. i call myself an "aqua-dork". my family and friends don't like to go aquarium stores or public aquariums with me anymore because i always "dork-out" and spend way too much time there staring and pointing out facts i know and spouting off scientific names.....

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
that's funny. i call myself an "aqua-dork". my family and friends don't like to go aquarium stores or public aquariums with me anymore because i always "dork-out" and spend way too much time there staring and pointing out facts i know and spouting off scientific names.....
LOL same. Whenever i go to a fish store, and my twin brother comes along, i always point out the scientific names of the plants and fish, and he always gives this "Does it look like i care?" look. :hihi:

Well, i was going to get a Choice co2 system from GLA for christmas, but my parents were too afraid of ordering the wrong stuff... even though i gave them the name and link to everything... so they're just going to give me the money for it instead. ;) I also asked for a trip to California to visit Kenny's discus garage. His name is Kenny Chung and he imports BEAUTIFUL, top-notch discus from malaysia. So i'm asking for my dad to drive me down to San Francisco to get 4-5 discus, since i'd rather pick them out myself instead of having them shipped.

My birthday is november 18th, so i get $400 from my parents. Planning on using that money to buy another eheim 2217 classic, a bunch of cardinals and rummynose tetras, and probably a UV sterilizer. Maybe some bulbs to replace the actinics in my T5 HO fixture. Black background for the tank, and probably more stuff for my aquarium... just haven't thought of more stuff yet. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
1ft T5HO hydroponics light, and Riparium Supply planters!

·
Registered
66 Posts
well im finally old enough to be included in the secret santa at my grandparents christmas gathering i will no longer be just one of the grandchildren that sponges presents from everyone lol. there is a $40 limit so im gonna hit up petco n petsmart n make a list of my choices cause i need 3 things for them to pick from. so im thinking 5.5g tank with whatever light/hood combo comes with it and a redsea nano and im gonna turn it into a shrimp tank for i dont know what kind of shrimp yet lol.

now from the rest of my family im probably getting cash like everyother year

·
Registered
273 Posts
The rest of what is needed for my new 40 breeder setup: Substrate, micros, regulator, uv sterilizer, diffuser, heater.

Check out the deals I've come across on what I've already got:
36x16x18 tank: $30
25lb co2 tank: $60
36" 4x39w t5 ho: $70
Bargain hunting has paid off!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I also asked for a trip to California to visit Kenny's discus garage. His name is Kenny Chung and he imports BEAUTIFUL, top-notch discus from malaysia. So i'm asking for my dad to drive me down to San Francisco to get 4-5 discus, since i'd rather pick them out myself instead of having them shipped.
Kenny's discus look amazing! Are these going in your 125? Can't wait to see them in your tank!

As for me, I think this is the first year I haven't asked for anything aquarium related. I feel like I actually don't need a single thing for any of my tanks...is that possible?

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Kenny's discus look amazing! Are these going in your 125? Can't wait to see them in your tank!

As for me, I think this is the first year I haven't asked for anything aquarium related. I feel like I actually don't need a single thing for any of my tanks...is that possible?

Yeah - my imaginary 125g that i've always wanted. :hihi:
They're going in my 85 gallon. Trying to find a new home for my angels.

You can never have too much aquarium stuff. :)
Ask for this, lol!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Well, i was going to get a Choice co2 system from GLA for christmas, but my parents were too afraid of ordering the wrong stuff... even though i gave them the name and link to everything... so they're just going to give me the money for it instead. ;) I also asked for a trip to California to visit Kenny's discus garage. His name is Kenny Chung and he imports BEAUTIFUL, top-notch discus from malaysia. So i'm asking for my dad to drive me down to San Francisco to get 4-5 discus, since i'd rather pick them out myself instead of having them shipped.
While you're in San Francisco, check out Aqua Forest Aquarium (don't go on a Tuesday because they're closed every Tuesday). While you drool over their tanks, try to resist buying anything;) It's impossible, I swear....

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Oops! In my mind, I was remembering it as a 125. Maybe I was having a vision of what you're really getting for Christmas. ;)
Haha i hope it was a vision! :hihi:

AzFishKid, some discus will look amazing in your tank! i checked kenny's website and his stock looks beautiful....
Yeah i think they will too! I'm kind of reluctant to rehoming my angelfish (i've had them for 5+ years), but i'd really like to have some discus. They're stunning!

While you're in San Francisco, check out Aqua Forest Aquarium (don't go on a Tuesday because they're closed every Tuesday). While you drool over their tanks, try to resist buying anything It's impossible, I swear....
Cool, thanks! I'll have to check that place out. Maybe i'll save a little cash before we visit... :icon_twis

·
Registered
743 Posts
actually i was thinking going downgrades , since the economy is so bad right now , got my 210G forsale all over the web with the OBO , no one even bother send a BO. if my 210G gone , the 180 will be next ,keep the 90G mbuna at work still but i'll down grade to a 75G plants tank.:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.