The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post but I've been reading for a couple of months now and love it here.

I had purchased an Innovative Marine SR-80 three months ago and had to cancel my order because nobody could tell me when they'll actually be shipping. I also had bad customer service from the place I purchased it from but I won't mention any names as I don't know the policy on that.

Unfortunately, I also bought the stand from IM and now have no tank to go with it. Can anyone recommend something in this size? 48 x 24 x 16 - 20? I'd even consider custom made if anyone can recommend a place in the SF Bay area.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank I had tried to buy was 48 x 24 and was 16 inches tall. Since I might need to go with custom I would prefer something a bit taller, like 20 inches. I'm not worried about gallons. I just can't figure out a good quality tank to buy :(

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If money is no object, I'd go with an ADA tank. They custom build, and I've heard nothing but good. You would get a rimless (no ugly black frame), low iron glass, which is major expensive, but has the clarity beyond any tank on the market. If money is somewhat an issue, the next best would be acrylic rimless. Also very clear, very strong, light weight, but the only caveat is it's ability to scratch. I really don't think that is much of an issue, unless you plan on moving it a lot. Take care with any tank you get not to get sand or gravel on your cleaning apparatus when you wipe the sides. If you really want to go slumming, you can't do bad with a regular rimmed/framed tank from petsmart. As always, fill with water over a period of a day, checking at different levels to make sure there are no leaks from shipping. I would fill just the bottom first, let sit for an hour...etc., etc....sorry if you already know this, but doesn't hurt to mention! :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Rather than go with a custom, which can be out of sight expensive, you can top the stand with a piece of 1" plywood. Then you can put any tank that has a 48x24 base or smaller. Give the plywood a few coats of matching paint first to protect it.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I did not know ADA were now making custom tanks?

ADA 120-P (and clones) are nice at 24x18x18 or go with 24" version

2 x 24x24x24" or 2 x 24x24x12" or one of each just might fit, available from several manufacturers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another place too check out is Glasscages.com Tom Barr buys rimless tanks from them. I just checked there site and they do have a 95 gallon rimless 48X24X16 tall tank for $497. I also like that size, and thinking about getting one myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

First, thank you all for your help. This is a really great community.

Kritter Products

this place was mentioned by a member to someone a few years back.
I'm only interested in glass. I probably should have mentioned that in my first post. Thanks for the tip though. I'm looking for low iron glass, rimless, and preferably black silicone.

I've always had good luck with Deep Blue professional aquariums. They have rimless as well and feel they are good on the price
My local shop said they were out of business and couldn't get me any of them. They were literally my first choice.

Another place too check out is Glasscages.com Tom Barr buys rimless tanks from them. I just checked there site and they do have a 95 gallon rimless 48X24X16 tall tank for $497. I also like that size, and thinking about getting one myself.
I've been looking at their stuff. I was wondering is anyone would recommend them. I've never seen them mentioned before so I was hesitant to call. I might have to now :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's so frustrating trying to find a 75g or above rimless or low iron glass tank. I'm having trouble as well, and I'm also in California.

A few LFS' will work with you to custom order from some of the brands they work with. I'm still waiting to hear back about a few.

Also, I'd be cautious with glasscages... do your research, there's a good amount of not so positive feedback out there..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.