The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I've got this person down to 150 for the package, but I guess the canopy doesn't open, it can only be taken off completely in order to access the tank. Has anyone dealt with a tank like this before? What about the stand? Any help would be appreciated ASAP. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It looks like an acrylic tank to me. The black canopy does (to me) look like there is a seam at the top that will allow you to flip it up/open.

If it is acrylic, I would take a good look at it empty to make sure there isn't a lot of crazing (scratches are able to be buffed out of acrylic way easier than glass, so I wouldn't worry about that unless it looks really bad).

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight. Yea I was thinking it must be acrylic. I totally forgot to ask that most basic question, haha. The lady said the top doesn't open though, which I thought was strange. So you have to remove the lid just to feed?! Hopefully someone has owned one of these before and can shed some more light.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Definitly looks acrylic and it also looks very custom your probably not going to hear from to many people that have had experience with a tank like that one, i've never seen one like it. Looks awesome and the price is even prettier, new that thing would $2000 I bet, wish I was in the Portland area....

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitly looks acrylic and it also looks very custom your probably not going to hear from to many people that have had experience with a tank like that one, i've never seen one like it. Looks awesome and the price is even prettier, new that thing would $2000 I bet, wish I was in the Portland area....
2 grand?! Dang! You think that much? That's crazy. Well I'm buying it so that's good. :) I'm actually setting it up for a friend who is getting back into the hobby.

·
Registered
554 Posts
  • That style tank is called a "Flat Back Hexagon Aquarium" It's not custom, it's a standard factory size.
Brand new they're about $1000 before shipping costs are added. Check with the seller to see if the dual column stand is included. If not, whatever you plan on using has make "full contact" with the entire bottom of the tank, not just the edges.

Going to be tough to move with all that gravel & plants in there. Even with 85% of the water drained it's going to be HEAVY.

• Research "crazing acrylic" & memorize the images before you view/buy this tank.
Price is good if it is a complete setup with the canister filter, light, heater & canopy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Probably not 2k if they are selling it for $150 (although I don't know the used tank economy in the Pac NW). High quality acrylic aquariums usually hold their value better than glass aquariums, especially if there are no scratches or crazing. Depending on the quality of the brand, I would guess it cost between $700 - $1000 new. With that being said, I would not be surprised if it did cost $1500+, but I would doubt it. Check out the following link (the tank is a flat back hexagon):
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/cl...i_sku=AAT019&gclid=CLCPiZKtpb0CFUVgMgod_BEAGw

So maybe it is a quality tank, just too much supply out there (I'm jealous).

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
  • That style tank is called a "Flat Back Hexagon Aquarium" It's not custom, it's a standard factory size.
Brand new they're about $1000 before shipping costs are added. Check with the seller to see if the dual column stand is included. If not, whatever you plan on using has make "full contact" with the entire bottom of the tank, not just the edges.

Going to be tough to move with all that gravel & plants in there. Even with 85% of the water drained it's going to be HEAVY.

[*]Research "crazing acrylic" & memorize the images before you view/buy this tank.
[/LIST]
Price is good if it is a complete setup with the canister filter, light, heater & canopy.

Good luck.
Well I anticipate draining all of the water out. Plus acrylic is lighter than glass. I had to move my 75 glass with substrate, plants, etc. It's definitely manageable. Thanks so much for the lead, I couldn't find pictures of it because I didn't know how to describe it. Is the contact issue because its acrylic? Obviously the stand it is on will work right? Because it does come with it.

• Probably not 2k if they are selling it for $150 (although I don't know the used tank economy in the Pac NW). High quality acrylic aquariums usually hold their value better than glass aquariums, especially if there are no scratches or crazing. Depending on the quality of the brand, I would guess it cost between $700 - $1000 new. With that being said, I would not be surprised if it did cost $1500+, but I would doubt it. Check out the following link (the tank is a flat back hexagon):
    http://www.hayneedle.com/product/cl...i_sku=AAT019&gclid=CLCPiZKtpb0CFUVgMgod_BEAGw

So maybe it is a quality tank, just too much supply out there (I'm jealous).
    Thanks a lot for your help! Ilk be picking this up next week. If the condition is terrible, we may have to pass.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Old style Clarity Plus flatback hex. Replaced by the "Clear for Life" brand. As mentioned, they are extremely heavy — even when empty.

The new model retails for about $800 without the stand or the lid.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts