The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what substrate do u use for shrimp?

is ada soil the best?

can i raise crs with fluval shrimp Substrate?

is fluval shrimp substrate good?

what more kind of Substrate i can find for shrimps?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Akadama 2 red line is another soil (find at bonsai stores)

The most widely accepted soil is ada amazonia.

Fluval shrimp stratum appears to have good and bad batches, so it's hit or miss with people.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Akadama 2 red line is another soil (find at bonsai stores)

The most widely accepted soil is ada amazonia.

Fluval shrimp stratum appears to have good and bad batches, so it's hit or miss with people.
I actually saw that thread on another shrimp forum...do you think there's any basis in fact for this? Granted the OP I read didn't even post his water parameters and went immediately to bashing the stratum but so many people agreed with him I'm wondering if there's a reason for it.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I actually saw that thread on another shrimp forum...do you think there's any basis in fact for this? Granted the OP I read didn't even post his water parameters and went immediately to bashing the stratum but so many people agreed with him I'm wondering if there's a reason for it.
mordalphus uses it in several tanks and has shrimp breeding and babies lasting in it.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The main people that said they had problems with fluval stratum were few and they were all high-very high quality, very sensitive shrimp, like bkk's and such. It's enough though That for me, I'm personally staying away from it. But lots of people have had great luck with it with crs and any pretty much any other species. The biggies outside of that that ive seen in successful breeding tanks were Ada Amazonia, Ada Malaya, netlea soil, or something totally inert like sand.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'M SERIOUS!

for me, fluval subs. is the easiest and cheapest to get
but it sounds like its not the best

im building one more stand like that in my sm fishroom
(for holding 4 of 20gal long tank or 8 of 10gal tanks,
if i want to build a shrimp breeding system , what size of tank will be better?)

i will buy Ada Amazonia soils then!

how many bags should i buy for 10gal tank?
how many bags should i buy for 20 gal long tank?
how many bags should i buy for 4 of 20gal long tank? and is there cheaper way to buy a lots of Ada Amazonia?

im starting with crs , tiger shrimp , rcs and yellow , eventually i will try higher shrimps
any advice will be helpful for me :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'M SERIOUS!

for me, fluval subs. is the easiest and cheapest to get
but it sounds like its not the best

im building one more stand like that in my sm fishroom
(for holding 4 of 20gal long tank or 8 of 10gal tanks,
if i want to build a shrimp breeding system , what size of tank will be better?)

i will buy Ada Amazonia soils then!

how many bags should i buy for 10gal tank?
how many bags should i buy for 20 gal long tank?
how many bags should i buy for 4 of 20gal long tank? and is there cheaper way to buy a lots of Ada Amazonia?

im starting with crs , tiger shrimp , rcs and yellow , eventually i will try higher shrimps
any advice will be helpful for me :D

Dear God...

Just hurry up and open your own LFS already! Lol!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have used ADA amazonia soils and africana for my shrimps.
Also have used eco-complete and Seachem Flourite long time ago and had good experiance with them.
I bought 2 bags of eco-complete again since it was on sale and bought 2 bags of fluval stratum to try them out.
You can also buy red sea flora base which is like ADA africana soil and little cheaper price.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It lowers GH. You have to add mineral mud or whatever to keep GH up to par...that's all

It's not quite that simple. Akadama soil will strip your water faster than you can blink regardless of what additives you use. It will drag very hard water down to 0 overnight. Some breeders do use it, but their water systems are huge and they usually have a constant water exchange going on. They don't use R/O water either. Just straight from the tap or well. That's why they use Akadama soil. To be blunt... it should be avoided.

Want to know the best and cheapest substrate? NONE. ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
didnt someone on another thread say akadama is not good for shrimps?
Google just about any substrate and you will find someone that doesn't think it's safe for shrimp. I use Fluval Stratum with great results in several of my tanks. I have it with my King Kongs and red wines for over a month now without any problems at all, along with several other shrimp species for several months.

·
Super Moderator
16,994 Posts
Most folks (most, NOT all, just generalizing) who have had issues with either of the Fluval Stratum products have rinsed it, packed it down harshly or otherwise treated it like it's some sort of cheap, blue aquarium gravel from a big box store.

While I wouldn't pick it over ADA products when it comes to planted tanks, I use it exclusively for shrimp because I've found it super-cheap on my end.

Never had big breakdowns with it, never had issues replanting, still looks nice. Been using it since it was first released in the states in all kinds of tanks, water parameters, etc.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Most folks (most, NOT all, just generalizing) who have had issues with either of the Fluval Stratum products have rinsed it...
The bag that I got instructed me to rinse it. I gave it a light rinse in a stainless strainer to remove the dust and then added it to the tank. I didn't pack it, just spread it out. It seems to be doing fine. Should I have not rinsed it?

·
Super Moderator
16,994 Posts
As with all soil-ish/clay-ish substrates, it tends to break down more with rinsing.

I think (me, as in not fact and not based on hundreds of experiments, folks) it does best when you add it to your tank by cup/scoopfuls, scape it, dry start your plants or plant and then slowly fill with water. Never had cloudiness that way and it's held up well for me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've used Amazonia and FSS (fluval shrimp stratum) for shrimps,

gotta say, I like Amazonia much better.

Plants grow better in it, better consistency, better color, shrimp breed more readily in amazonia tanks. The 4+ week waiting period just for ammonia is awful though.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.