The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting up a planted tank in a BioCube 29 that's currently being used as a saltwater reef tank. Is there anything I need to do besides give it a thorough scrubbing?

Also What kind of substrate is recommended for some of these easy plants: crypts, water sprite, anubias, wisteria, java moss, java fern, cryptocorynes, vallisneria, hornwort, dwarf hairgrass, etc...

I was looking at black flourite sand Aqua Soil & Eco-Complete Black. Are the Aqua Soil & Eco-Complete worth it, is one better than the other. How long do they last & am I leaving any others that I should consider.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Scrub it down, use vineagar/ lemon juice if you need to remove deposits.
I am going to give this a try. it looks pretty good, and should be pretty reasonable to ship. I recommend aqua soil over eco. It has much more nutrition for the plants in it than eco. You would just have to wait longer for your tank to cycle if you get aquasoil.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The type of substrate doesn't matter pick one of the more common ones based on price in your local area instead of spending as much as the bag on shipping.

Anything in the 1mm to 3mm range will work great - Turface, PFS, top-soil, Fluorite, Eco-Complete, Aqua-Soil, ADA soils, MTS, kitty litter, 3M ColorQuarts just pick one you would like to look at in your tank and buy it. I tend to use the first three more often than anything else becouse I've always been able to find them in any decent sized city cheaper than the rest but some people can't stand the color/look so they buy the others.

- Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.