The Planted Tank Forum banner

What sub for my 20G?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ringram 
#1 ·
Hi all

I am about to redo my 20G and i want to add some better substrate.
The plant i want to grow most is dwarf hair grass as i love it and HC but what substrate would be best for them?
I am also getting new lights because at the moment i only have 30Watts over the tank, i will be upgrading it to about 50Watts or 70Watts with one of them arcadia over head lighting models.

Thanks.
Nick.

#3 ·
I personally like Shultz Aquatic, but it is CRAZY light, so I frequently mix it with a little small grain pea-pebble and large grain sand to help hold down the plants.

#4 ·
ADA Aquasoil works great for both plants. My hairgrass and HC have both taken off with it. I have had bad luck with hairgrass in flourite and eco-complete/black sand mix. The Aquasoil is light (which is great for hairgrass) and holds plants down very well.

#11 ·
The M,S,L is just grain size and the Special has extra nutrients and stuff packed into it....I always get the Special S since all my tanks are small but on a larger tank(55g+) I would go with something larger.

Also keep in mind that if you plan on uprooting plants a lot the Powersand can be unearthed to the top which looks kind of bad but can be pushed back down, basically a pita if there will be lots of uprooting.

#12 ·
Thanks alot Eklikewhoa i will probly get a 9liter bag of amazonia and a bag of powersand special S.

I wont be having many stem plants so not much uprooting will be going on i am mainly having mosses,hairgrass, riccia, HC and crypts and eventually some anubis and java fern.

i will start a new thread when i start the re build of the tank.
at the moment its a mess due to me waiting for fund for my substrate.

I have also just bought a new light unit 73Watts over a 20G that should be enough right?

Nick.

#15 ·
If you're seriously wondering what the *best* substrate is for HC and hairgrass, the answer is aquasoil. I heard the same thing prior to trying it and found it to be true from my own experiences. I still have both plants in my tank and they are quite happy. Not to say that other substrates won't work, but this works very well IME.

*Edit* I didn't scroll far enough down. It looks like you have some aquasoil now. Good purchase! You'll be happy -- that much I'm certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.