The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ignoring the white blotches, the squiggly line pattern looks like a nerite, but those white blotches I've never seen before. Very strange.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Olive nerites are the only species native to my area that I am aware of. I found multiple individuals with this shell pattern. New breeding project?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Looks like a nerite to me as well, but a very cool color pattern on that shell.

Swirly Marble Nerites?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, looks like I have a new journal to start. As of now, I have four individuals with this shell design, and one confirmed female. I'll pull them and set up a new tank within a few weeks. Off to collect some more. So no one has ever seen this pattern on a nerite, does that mean I get to name the morph?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Naming rights belong to the beholder. If you've had the occasion to check out the names bestowed upon some of the zoanthid color morphs on the SW side of the hobby, I'm sure you'll find some inspiration there.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
"Olive oil" nerite hahaha if we are inventing names lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I like the look! Maybe you found a new sideline if you can breed them lol.

·
Registered
791 Posts
No, not a pond snail. Take a look at the following olive nerite image and compare. Note the similarity with the black lines, and the same olive color between the lines.

I assume it has a trap door. Would be good to double check. It should have one if it is a nerite. It should not have one if it's a pond or bladder snail.

Now that smaller snail on the left side of the picture might be a pond snail, although I think it's actually a bladder snail. Then there's the assassin snail in the top left corner. Wonder who he'll eat first. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ill add more photos tonight, did some more harvesting yesterday. It is a olive nerite. It has a trap door, it's she'll pattern is the black squiggly lines, just reduced. The tank is 150 gallons, and has one assassin snail. There are too many ramshorns, mts, and bladder snails for him to mess with the nerites I think..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I already posted this over at Shrimp Spot, but this looks like a virgin nerite to me! They're not exactly rare but usually sold as saltwater critters. (Like other nerites, they do fine in freshwater when acclimated properly.)

Edit: And they're native to Florida. :3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts