The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy guys. what soil would you recommend for a first timer? i really like glossostigma, riccia, and various crypts. and various stem plants. its for a 20 tall. how much would i need?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
A bag of eco-complete or flourite should give you a nice 2" layer of plant substrate.
eco-complete (black)
flourite (brown)
I suggest you skip the riccia until you are more experienced with aquatic plants.
Not so sure about your estimation. I think you would need 2 bags for a 24x12 aquarium. Quoted from the website you noted
"NOTE: How much does it take to do my aquarium???
1.5 bags covers 1 square foot at a 3" depth."

I would still go with aquasoil, aquaforest.com or adgshop.com is where you can find it. You would just need one bag of aquasoil.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Or some rinsed topsoil with Shultz Aquatic Soil (sold at hardware stores) piled on top ;) Less than 10 dollars.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not so sure about your estimation. I think you would need 2 bags for a 24x12 aquarium. Quoted from the website you noted
"NOTE: How much does it take to do my aquarium???
1.5 bags covers 1 square foot at a 3" depth."

I would still go with aquasoil, aquaforest.com or adgshop.com is where you can find it. You would just need one bag of aquasoil.
I got away with one 2L Powersand bag and one 9L Amazonian bag. Nice 2" in front 4" in the back.

To topic creator: if available, deffinately go with ADA Aquasoil. Decent price. Outstanding product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts