The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head hurts trying to pick a fish. I have a 36 gal planted tank that needs some type of schooling fish or I am thinking Rainbows like Pseudomugil gertrudae , Forktail Blue Eye Rainbow . I was also thinking Threadfin Rainbow, Or Pygmy Spotted Rasbora, or Trigonostigma espei. it hurts my heat to pick one. I am learning liking the Pseudomugil gertrudae.

But I also have an 80 gal planted with Angelfish. I need some schooling fish for that. But I LOVE Emperor Tetras and think I will get them again they are the best. But if any one has other ideas let me know.

·
Banned
483 Posts
I would get glass catfish to start.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want something small and bright or flashy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can't go wrong Threadfin Rainbow. I have some these going on 4 years old. They have small mouths but that hasn't stop them from eating.They don't school but when they flash those fins there isn't many fish more beautiful.
If you want something to school rummy nose tetras are some of the best or harlequins rasboras.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I know this is an older thread now but wanted to encourage you to get the Pseudomugil gertrudae for your non angelfish tank! I several in a 12g long with cherry shrimp on my husbands desk. They add a great bit of activity as they're always exploring, flaring (males), or foraging. They're very bright little fish, probably the quickest to learn the ques that it's feeding time of any fish I've gotten yet!
Mine get ed (thawed) baby brine shrimp and grindal worms (love these), they also eat the repashy gel foods I put in the the shrimp-meat pie and soilent green.
I appear to have a few females for s sub spaces-their tails are more yellow rather than white like the majority.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I like your taste in fish!
Any one of them would be nice additions.

But do mind the fish size to be compatible with the angelfish. Angelfish would get big enough to eat P. gertrudae (P. furcatus aka Forktail rainbow is a little bigger, but may also get eaten), Pygmy Spotted Rasboras and Espei rasboras (the taller body Harlequins/Heteromorpha might be safe). Emperors and Threadfins (as long as the females are a decent size) would be safe.

If I had to help rule out some fish, I would not lean toward the pygmy spotted rasboras since they are kind of too small to really see/enjoy, not always as colorful either.
The Forktail rainbows are a little bigger, but not exactly as colorful as P. gertrudae, and they don't have as nice fins to display. Also the Forktails are a bit "too" active, constantly chasing around the females (not so much worried about the females, but the nonstop commotion may stress the other tankmates a bit). Watch some youtube videos too see what I mean to compare their swimming and displaying behavior.
Emporer tetras have nice colors and fins, though in comparison to the other fish, I might say they are a little boring/inactive. Would be good in the 80 gallon though! Take a look at Blue Kerri tetra and Rainbow Emporer tetras also.

Espei's are great fish. Nice color and always active, schooling tightly just like Rummynose tetras. These guys occupy the upper half of the water column.
P. gertrudae are definitely cool. P. paskai/irani are my favorite among the Pseudomugil species. You might also like P. cyanodorsalis, but those should be kept in Brackish water.
Threadfins behave and display their fins just like Psuedomugil species (so do Celebes rainbows). They are larger sized which, makes viewing from afar easier to see/notice. Plus they have more solid color than Pseudomugils.

All nice choices.
Not sure on the 36 gallon dimensions, but personally I don't like to put really active fish like Espei's in anything smaller than a 40 gallon breeder.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wish you had a thread on the tank with them. What do you feed them?

I feed them twice a day dry food that I grid to a small size and frozen food. I have taken blood worms and dice them to smaller size. There not picky at all as long as the food fits in there mouth.

On another note I have had these in very soft water at a ph of 7.0.
There very hardy and very forgiving about water conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.