The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fashioned myself an intake tube out of 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC pipe for my Rena XP2. I need to put a strainer on the end. Does anybody know what size strainer will work? I'm guessing that the listed sizes for bulkhead strainers are outside diameter and the PVC is measured by inside diameter so, I'm wondering if anybody knows what I can use.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
711 Posts
lee's has replacement strainers. i used the 3/4" strainer on 1/2" pvc pipe, fits perfectly. you need to use pvc cement to bond the strainer to the tube; silicone won't provide a secure enough bond.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lee's has replacement strainers. i used the 3/4" strainer on 1/2" pvc pipe, fits perfectly. you need to use pvc cement to bond the strainer to the tube; silicone won't provide a secure enough bond.

Thanks for the info, I wound up ordering three sizes of strainers. The shipping cost more than the parts so, why not. Fortunately, one of them is 3/4". Silicone won't work heh, good to know thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are the strainers lee's brand? the 1"might fit without having to glue it on.
It is Lifeguard formerly Pentair. The 3/4" size worked perfectly. I wrapped a small rubberband around the end of the PVC and slipped the strainer right over top. It made a nice snug fit. The 3/4" sized strainer cost $1.59. So now I have nice grey schedule 80 PVC inflow and out flow tubes instead of the bright blue that comes with the Rena XP canisters. The spacing between the two top elbows just fits over the lip of the aquarium so, snug fit and weight of the hose holds inflow and outflow in place without suction cups. I can move them to the side a few inches for cleaning the glass and then slide them back in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.