The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I asked the same question before, but quite a few said you would still eventually end up scratching your glass. And if it's that rimless 75 gallon I've seen in your pics, I myself wouldn't want to risk scarring it up. And if it's lidless/topless, you could just get a long arm/stick/wand algae scrubber sponge and it would be just as effortless and probably even quicker to clean your tank with that. Just thought I'd mentioned. No bad looks from me if you do decide to get a mag float (I still kinda want one :)).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of people using the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Supposed to be really good on hard water deposits as well.
I haven't used them personally or know what they are made of exactly so I never feel safe enough to use them even though others have used them and reported no ill effects.

Read this thread though (last post) it mentions different versions of the Magic Erasers and which ones are supposedly aquarium safe. I can't guarantee they are correct though.
Magic Eraser Safe?? - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is using a magic eraser or sponge or mag float any different in terms of scratching the tank?

If you get sand caught in the mag then yet it can scratch. But same with a sponge or eraser right? It's important to rinse as you go to ensure no debris is caught in the cleaning device.

Or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I side swiped a car with my side view mirror and left paint on the side of the other car the magic eraser took it off in one swipe if that doesnt say anything about how well it works i dont know what does.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well yes, it's only if you get something hard/abrasive in-between the cleaning material and glass. Also how much pressure/force applied.

So yeah, you could end up scratching the tank with any material if you got something hard/sharp caught in-between and pressed hard enough.

It's just those magnets usually press against the glass pretty hard and you can't always see what's between the two magnet pads and glass. Manually scrubbing just tends to be easier avoiding scrubbing with trapped debris and it's easier to see what you are doing and you are able to control the applied pressure. You can still use a magnet to clean and not get any scratches if you make sure to pay close attention, especially when near the substrate. Was just a word of caution.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Buy original magic erasers at the Orange big box store for less than $1. Keep them out of the sand (duh!) while wiping and your tank will look better than new forever. I will testify with my 9' 350 gallon bowfront acrylic that it works perfectly!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I side swiped a car with my side view mirror and left paint on the side of the other car the magic eraser took it off in one swipe if that doesnt say anything about how well it works i dont know what does.
Hit and run.... Magic eraser took care of the evidence, but what did you do with the witnesses?
Lol

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hit and run.... Magic eraser took care of the evidence, but what did you do with the witnesses?
Lol

Shave their head and make them sell the erasers?!

I'm a fan of using green scotch brite pads on my glass tanks. I buy a package of 8 I believe, cut off little squares as needed and just toss em when I'm done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.