The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thing that seems to confuse me most in the volume of U.S aquariums. Standard sizes like 2.5g, 10g, 15g, 20h, 20L, 30g, 55g etc, seem to be names, not actual volumes. So I've decided to conduct a survey. Please fill out this form and post it back here:

What do I think?
The volume of my tank is in gallons:
Length, width and height of my tank:

After calculations:
The actual volume of my tank in gallons:
The actual volume of my tank in litres:

Remeber that 1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litre (according to Google).
http://www.unitsconversion.com.ar/volumeunitsconversion/gallon-litre.htm

Thanks for your time :cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
What do I think?
The volume of my tank is in gallons: 50G
Length, width and height of my tank: 45 1/2”L x 11 1/2”W x 17 1/2”H

After calculations:
The actual volume of my tank in gallons: 39.64G
The actual volume of my tank in litres: 154.2L

I used the calculator at:
http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

I always though my tank was only 18" tall because that's what was advertised. 20" should be a 55G, but the ad clearly said 50G (Petsmart)

These are my inside dimensions (how much water will actually fit inside)

Edit: I mis-measured the height of the tank because I measured behind the trim with cm instead of in.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
ADA Mini-M
What do I think?
The volume of my tank is in gallons: 5.4g
Length, width and height of my tank: 36x22x26

After calculations:
The actual volume of my tank in gallons: 5.29g
The actual volume of my tank in litres: 20.59L

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The calculator doesn't work for bowfronts :(
For a bow front tank, measure the depth at the middle, the maximum depth, and at the ends, minimum depth. Then average the two numbers and use that in the calculator. This isn't exact, but it is close.

For years we all wanted to know just what the size of our tanks was in gallons, primarily so we could figure out how much light we needed. Now we know, I hope, that it doesn't matter what the volume of the tank is. What counts are the actual height, length and depth - the length so we can match it as best we can when using fluorescent tubes, the depth so we can estimate how many fluorescent tubes to use to cover the substrate with reasonably even light, and the height, so we can decide what type of lights (T8, T5NO, T5HO, etc.) will give the intensity we want at the substrate.

Sorry to be off topic.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
i have been under the assumption that the gallon rating of out tanks were just names. could you imagine what kind of confusion would be created if they actually named the tanks for their true volumes?

here's one of mine:

50g acrylic w/built-in wet/dry (36x15x20)

actual out side volume: 46.75g

actual amount of water in the tank: it's hard to say, lol. 15g looks like a 50% water change in the viewing portion and there's probably about 5g in the filtration portion left so i'm gonna have to assume that i've only got about 35g(probably a little more) of actual water in there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's interesting oldpunk78, a 15g difference is quite alot.

·
Registered
283 Posts
From what little I have seen of acrylic tanks, the walls seem to be much thicker than those of glass tanks. When I calculate the outside dimensions of my 50G I get something like 46G, but when I do inside I get about 39 1/2.

Thats 20% less volume than the "advertised size." If his walls are much thicker than mine, say 1/2" instead of my 1/4" then that could explain the additional loss of volume. His loss is about 30%, so it isn't much more loss than mine. One would also have to consider how his built in filtration is set up and whether or not it was calculated in the tank's "advertised size."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts