The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, one thing I don't know about is thread or fitting size and I could use alittle assistance.

Compared to Rex's pics, it looks like I don't need an adapter, but two seconds later it looks too small for the hex nipple, or maybe the threads are all wrong. You can see the piece that was in it to the right, all I can tell you is it's part number C-183295-100, and I've also seen it referred to as a 1/4" male flair regulator check valve, I just don't know which end is 1/4" since both ends are different sizes. Google isn't much more helpfull than that. For what it's worth, the outside threads of the end pointing up look about 3/8" on my tape measure.

UPDATE: alright, I finally found a site explaining NPT measurements and I'm pretty confident that is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter in the reg.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
This could be wrong, but from the way I understand it:

1/4"NPT coming out of the regulator which is an adapter down to 1/8"NPT. That goes into and out of the solenoid and then down to 10/32"NPT for the manifold and/or needle valves, etc.

UPDATE: alright, I finally found a site explaining NPT measurements and I'm pretty confident that is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter in the reg.
That's what it looks like and should be.....:thumbsup:

HTH

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I shoulda taken caution and ordered the reducer, this thing is probably the next size down from 1/8", 3/32 or something.

So notice to anyone else who orders the cornelius with this type of bulkhead in it, you still need a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer to use the 1/8" hex nipple.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The Cornelius has a 1/4" port. To use any 1/8" stuff you need a 1/4-1/8" adapter. You can get those at most any decent hardware store and many automotive stores.

Now that I look at the picture the adapter in the regulator appears to be non-standard and NOT have NPT threads (is that as redundant as ATM machine? ).

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I might be able to find it locally? I was afraid it was one of the parts everyone says are impossible to find locally. It seems to measure up to 1/8"npt, but when comparing the end of the valve that came out of it to teh 1/8" hex nipple, they're very different.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
It is 1/8" but it doesn't have NPT threads on it. They look more like compression fitting threads which are different. The BORG should have the 1/4-1/8 adapter sitting there waiting for you.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Great. If I had taken a closer look at the picture I could have saved you a problem. But it's actually kind of hard to tell unless you look closely at both ends of the fitting.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I shouldn't have assumed it was NPT, but I couldn't find more than two links that barely described that valve that came in it and I never bothered to call anyone about it. By comparing to NPT measurements, it matched but obviously is the wrong thread. Shoulda went with my gut and had you throw the reducer in just incase, not a biggy, I still don't have a canister anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cornelius uses NPT for the regs but the check valve is BPT, so it's prob a 1/8 BPT.

I am having trouble removing that 1/4 reducing fitting on the regulator. I can't get it off, it just won't budge. The beauty part is that I managed to tweak the high pressure guage in the process of trying to remove that piece, so now I have to fix that too.

Got any secret to getting that worthless reducer off the regulator Rex?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I just use a wrench. The secret is that Cornelius sells bodies to several other sources. Then those sources assemble regulators. Most of them use a soft setting compound on the threads. Some of them don't. And that can be a problem.

Try gently heating the area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got it off by channeling my inner gorilla fury.

Now my only problem is... everything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts