The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 20l commin up and would like to breed some shrimp. but my question is what shrimp to get? i have searched and would need to be one with no larval stage that requires saltwater and one the is different. crs are everywhere so are rcs. so i would like something different that will be liked so when i get to many i can sell some. not really looking to make a living here would just like to breed a really cool shrimp. and since its my first shrimp breeding tank would like it to be a easier shrimp. i found a black tiger shrimp and wow but due to inbreeding they are very hard to keep. so that is out the window. so i come to anyone who knows about shrimp that i might not have considered yet. here are the ones im thinking
Orange Eye Blue Tigers kinda common tho
Super Tiger Shrimp
BLUE PEARL SHRIMP
Chameleon shrimp
harlequin shrimp this is the one im really thinkin about but at 25 bucks a pop SIGH LOL

·
Banned
58 Posts
If you are looking for something that is uncommon, but at the same time easy to keep, you don't have quite a lot of options here. I would recommend some Sulawesi species. Although they widely known know, there are many different species among the Sulawesi themselves.

All they really need is a high pH, and warmer temperatures. I don't know how your water parameters are, but if you have very low pH water, you can add some crushed corals into the tank and that would normally bring up the pH. Normally, it is harder and expensive to lower water temperature, but it is very easy to increase water temperatures. Just add a heater.

You mentioned Orange Eye Tiger Shrimp, Super Tiger Shrimp, and Blue Pearl Shrimps. I think from those three, Blue Pearls would be the easiest to kept. They thrive in most water parameters.

I don't know what a Chameleon Shrimp is so I do not know any input on that.

-Skrimpy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank u very much for the info. the Sulawesi are quiet expensive the more i look at it them more i think i better get some experience under my belt before i spent that much on shrimp. so im goin to breed my cherries in that 20 for now. learn about them the dos and donts. u know. then move up to a nice expensive Sulawesi harlequin
here is where i saw the chameleon shrimp looks sweet about 30% down the page http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/misc_critters/critters.htm#top2

·
Registered
548 Posts
cherries are the way to go. They are somewhat cheap and readily available. It's better to start with cherries to get used to shrimps...

Chameleon shrimps seem interesting after looking at the picture, they have claws too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know and yes they do i would be very interested to see the whole thing. and it says they stay small. idk very interesting tho

·
Registered
28 Posts
You could go with yellow shrimp. They're the same species as cherries, but a different variant which is a bit rarer. Thus, they're as hardy as cherries are, but you'll get a better price for raising them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with the majority - especially if this is your first time raising shrimp. Red cherries are the way to go: cheap, hardy, attractive, and prolific breeders.

Earn your bones with them, and then branch out into tougher types.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you got some knowledge of shrimps. go for the blue tiger, pretty interesting shrimp, alot of color range too! and lots of personality.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rare shrimp are expensive, i don't think there is any way around it. I think harlequin shrimp are salt water. I agree with everyone else, go with a rcs or one of the variants (ghost, yellow, snowball) or if you want something fancier go with crystal red/black shrimp. Then once you get the hang of shrimp keeping go for something rare, or try and breed better shrimp. There is a HUGE market for really fancy CRS.

·
Registered
214 Posts
@ Solid: Sulawesi harlequins are not saltwater shrimp. But there is a saltweater harlequin too I believe.

I would go with yellow, blue pearl, or CRS. Sulawesis are much to difficult for a beginner as even many seasoned shrimpkeepers are having a really hard time just keeping them alive. That's why the prices are still so high. They are hard to get, hard to keep alive and hard to keep long enough for them to breed.
Of course there are a few lucky guys out there, who managed to breed Sulawesis in captivity so far, but they were probably not their first shrimp.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone!! i have moved some of my rcs in the 20l and they are doin good so far. i do have some yellows too but dont want to mix them because they can interbreed. but might be setting up a ten for them soon. im so excited i just want to wake up look at the tank and there be hundreds of shrimp lol. and yes i do plan on selective breeding i want the deepest rcs i can get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts