The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought two shrimps way back, I know that they're both amano. Recently one died and the other was still here. While I was resetting my tank I noticed a different shrimp in my tank... Could anyone help me identify it?

·
Super Moderator
15,765 Posts
Could you get better photos of it? Light over the tank, no flash on your phone/camera. That will help.

I don't want to reveal your location (unless you're okay with that) but in your region, you have access to dozens of varieties of shrimp that aren't as common in the US.

If I had to guess - and this is only a guess based on an unclear photo - it's a Malaysian Rainbow Shrimp or Caridina babaulti. They're not just in Malaysia, though, and are frequently found in your country.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I was thinking something along the lines of a Caridina typus complex species.... but being in a country where there are several species of shrimp available.... I think that opens up the possibilities, too!

·
Super Moderator
15,765 Posts
I was thinking something along the lines of a Caridina typus complex species.... but being in a country where there are several species of shrimp available.... I think that opens up the possibilities, too!
C. typus is a possibility, though we'd need to see better photos to be sure. Most of them have a slight bit more arching back end.

Also possibly Caridina biyiga but those are found in Australia and aren't really collected for hobbyists.

This looks like a wild caught shrimp native to their country. Which is what led me to the many C. babaulti variants in that region of the world.

Definitely interested in seeing more photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I can't get a good picture of him, I'll try next time though.

Maybe this could help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still think they're Malaysian Rainbow Shrimp or Caridina babaulti. Regardless, it looks gorgeous in your tank and I hope you'll be able to get more of them because they're awesome. They're really common in your area.

What kind of parameters are you keeping them in?
I keep my ph at 7.00 and my temperature 27 - 29C [80 - 84F], I also have my water on the soft side, they seemed to like it though. He and my amano together with my 2 angels, some platies and swordtails are all thriving.

It's also my first scape...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts