The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to enjoy some shrimp in my tank.
maybe about 12-20 inexpensive
not looking to breed them just enjoy seeing them.

Can anyone recommend what kind i can have?

50 gallon
low light/tech
eco-complete
temp around 78-79.5

·
Registered
342 Posts
lemme guess what you'll end up with! RCS!!!

if your water parameter permits and only have ottos, red cherry shrimps are good for beginners.. just like i was, or still am..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dreamt01
i will have fish
tetras-glass catfish
just stocking up on plants right now

getochkn
this might be a weird ???
whats the diff. between neat looking and colorful?

to me they all look the same just different colors

·
Registered
342 Posts
the thing with any fish.. if your shrimps will start breeding, the babies (fry) will become another food source.. even with community fishes.. some people managed to have tetras and shrimps together but most of them have plants where the shrimps can hide.

i suggest to read the previous posts on this thread, to learn more about shrimps.. cause there's a lot of things may vary, water parameters, environment that's needed, price, and etc..

if you wanna try something really cheap, get some ghost shrimps.. they're hardy and dirt cheap even at petsmart and petco. i hope i didn't discourage you, shrimp keeping can be easy and fun.. and if you managed to breed them successfully, you might end up having a little business than just a hobby.. :D

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Bamboo shrimp.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Well colorful shrimp, red cherries are great to go. Neat shrimp that can get 2-3" long and stand up more to fish are bamboo shrimp. They are neat too because they have fan's on their hand so they stay near a water current and filter the water with their fans and then eat from there. Really cool to watch and rather big, size wise.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
And Bamboo shrimp live a long life compared to other shrimp varieties. Mine are 8 years old and going strong. They now live with small type plecos (L134s), otos and galaxy rasboras but have previously been in a tank with glolight tetras and weitzmani corys. Both the galaxy rasboras and the L134s plecos have been breeding and the bamboo shrimp only helped, never got in the way of the fry. I am certain they could handle African dwarf frogs, skirt tetras, panda corys, most small plecos, otos, danios and small barbs, except maybe tigers. A great shrimp to have and they are social so you should get a few of them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok--i did see a shrimp at a petco that had
no tag or id on the tank
i thought it was kind of big considering some of the shrimp i've seen here
now i know that was a bamboo shrimp -it was about 2 inches big

want to keep them small
so i guess i'll look into RED CHERRY SHRIMP when i'm ready

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.