The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

You guys were awesome the last time I needed help so I figured I'd ask before went any further down the rabbit-hole again.

So the consensus last time was that I'd need to do CO2 for my 29 gal tank. I've pick most of my equipment, but I didn't realize that a inline reactor (going with the Sera Flore Active 500) needed a water source (yes I'm a newbie). Trying to figure out where or rather the best source for this is what's tripping me up. I've found a lot about DIY inline reactors, but I just don't trust myself to make one correctly. I see most people talking about attaching them to canister filters. I had planned on doing a Aquaclear 30 HOB, but I can/will do a canister filter if that's the recommendation here. However I wanted to make sure there weren't other ways to provide a inline reactor with water? I kept seeing things about powerheads, but I'm not sure if that's only in the case that your using that as THE diffuser.

If I did switch to a canister filter do you guys think a Marineland Magniflow 160 GPH would be enough for filtering my 29 G and for the inline reactor?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
You can use a powerhead/pump to run a reactor, BUT it means another piece of equipment in the tank with a line running out of the tank into the reactor, another line running from the reactor back into the tank. Much easier to run a canister filter and you just plumb the reactor into the return line.

General rule of thumb for canister filters is that the advertised GPH rate is going to be cut in half once you take into account the media in the baskets and head pressure (since that advertised number is measured without media or head height). You also want 4 to 8 times turn over per hour (some say 10 times) to get good filtration in a planted tank. If you cut the 160 gph in half its 80 gallons per hour. 80 divided by 29 equals 2.76 which is not enough. You really want a bare absolute minimum of 240 gallons per hour (advertised number) up to around 440. You could go higher of course and just turn it down with a ball valve.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ran a canister with the sera flore 500 on a 29 gallon bowfront tank and was quite happy with the results. I would recomment it. My only knock on the sera flore is that needed to do a little diy with it at times. But i think most things like that will require some tinkering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can use a powerhead/pump to run a reactor, BUT it means another piece of equipment in the tank with a line running out of the tank into the reactor, another line running from the reactor back into the tank. Much easier to run a canister filter and you just plumb the reactor into the return line.

General rule of thumb for canister filters is that the advertised GPH rate is going to be cut in half once you take into account the media in the baskets and head pressure (since that advertised number is measured without media or head height). You also want 4 to 8 times turn over per hour (some say 10 times) to get good filtration in a planted tank. If you cut the 160 gph in half its 80 gallons per hour. 80 divided by 29 equals 2.76 which is not enough. You really want a bare absolute minimum of 240 gallons per hour (advertised number) up to around 440. You could go higher of course and just turn it down with a ball valve.
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out! I really appreciate it, and wasn't expecting an answer as thorough as what you gave me. 😄 You probably saved me a lot of headaches from down the road! Again thank you very much!

I ran a canister with the sera flore 500 on a 29 gallon bowfront tank and was quite happy with the results. I would recomment it. My only knock on the sera flore is that needed to do a little diy with it at times. But i think most things like that will require some tinkering.
I appreciate your reply that's good to know! Thankfully I have mechanically inclined dad (pipe fitter/welder) that could help if I need to do some alterations or anything.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a larger tank but found that the reactor (a DIY Cerges) cut too much flow from the filter. I eventually went with an external pump. So my pump sits out side the tank, not inside the tank. I only have the extra intake tube and outflow tube in the tank. I hate extra equipment in my tank but this seemed like a good tradeoff.

I don't have experience with CO2 on smaller tanks, but it seems that those inline diffusers work pretty well, but again, I don't know how much they reduce filter flow.

So... you probably don't want to go down this option, but is is there. Maybe revisit it if what you do doesn't work out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a larger tank but found that the reactor (a DIY Cerges) cut too much flow from the filter. I eventually went with an external pump. So my pump sits out side the tank, not inside the tank. I only have the extra intake tube and outflow tube in the tank. I hate extra equipment in my tank but this seemed like a good tradeoff.

I don't have experience with CO2 on smaller tanks, but it seems that those inline diffusers work pretty well, but again, I don't know how much they reduce filter flow.

So... you probably don't want to go down this option, but is is there. Maybe revisit it if what you do doesn't work out for you.
THAT'S how people make use of the pumps for it! THANK YOU! I was thinking that's how it was done, but you can only look at so many post, blogs, articles, and videos before you start to question your understanding of anything 😑. I am gonna at least start out with the canister filter route, because well the filter I have now probably isn't powerful enough anyway. But now I at least have an alternative option I can turn to, and I won't have that lingering question in the back of my mind.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.