The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Depends what kind of job you want to get from your filter. If you were using carbon for water clarity, and you want to maintain that kind of usefulness, then try Seachem's Purigen instead of carbon. IMO it works far better than carbon in a number of different ways - to me it's like magic ! I use it regularly, along with filter floss for crystal clear water all the time.
If you want to increase the mechanical filtration for mulm removal, and increase the biological filtration 'housing' space, then add more foam sponging, 'scrubbies', or similar media.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends what kind of job you want to get from your filter. If you were using carbon for water clarity, and you want to maintain that kind of usefulness, then try Seachem's Purigen instead of carbon. IMO it works far better than carbon in a number of different ways - to me it's like magic ! I use it regularly, along with filter floss for crystal clear water all the time.
If you want to increase the mechanical filtration for mulm removal, and increase the biological filtration 'housing' space, then add more foam sponging, 'scrubbies', or similar media.
Hey Hows it going =) my goal is to maintain clear water. Ive had the carbon for a while and ive heard that it eventually wears out and doesnt work any more im also worried about my carbon removing my ferts. does seachem's purigen do that? and how is it sold for exeample is it sold in the mesh bags like carbon is?
thanks for the help :smile:

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Seachem claims Purigen removes impurities of many kinds, but has little or no effect on beneficial trace elements, and I buy that.
I've used it regularly for 2 years in my planted discus tank, and am extremely happy with the results. Plants are doing very well in my low-tech tank, with seemingly no adverse effect on my fert regime. I swear by it.
I maintain crystal clear water with strong HOB filtration, large frequent wcs (2 X weekly), a rigorous media cleansing routine, filter floss replaced weekly, Purigen, pre-filters on the filter intake tubes - rinsed well every second or third day, and regular use of a UV sterilizer.
Purigen is sold in small fine mesh bags, but it's more expensive than buying the 250 ml jar which you just bag yourself to fit your filter size cavity - just make sure you double-bag it, to avoid having the fine Purigen particles all over your tank - you can get a couple of sizes of fine mesh bags @ PetSmart for less than $2 each.
Have a peek at my tank:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011

·
Registered
275 Posts
According to my very own brand of planted tankkeeping, The Lazy, you just leave the charcoal in there so it becomes a bacteria colony. I have the same charcoal in my filstar from 8 months ago.

Once it did it's job of levelling out the initial cycle, but now I just rinse it in old tank water (never tap water, as it's hard on the colony) if it clogs up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seachem claims Purigen removes impurities of many kinds, but has little or no effect on beneficial trace elements, and I buy that.
I've used it regularly for 2 years in my planted discus tank, and am extremely happy with the results. Plants are doing very well in my low-tech tank, with seemingly no adverse effect on my fert regime. I swear by it.
I maintain crystal clear water with strong HOB filtration, large frequent wcs (2 X weekly), a rigorous media cleansing routine, filter floss replaced weekly, Purigen, pre-filters on the filter intake tubes - rinsed well every second or third day, and regular use of a UV sterilizer.
Purigen is sold in small fine mesh bags, but it's more expensive than buying the 250 ml jar which you just bag yourself to fit your filter size cavity - just make sure you double-bag it, to avoid having the fine Purigen particles all over your tank - you can get a couple of sizes of fine mesh bags @ PetSmart for less than $2 each.
Have a peek at my tank:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011
those are amazing tanks!! and awesome fish!!! thanks for the advice ill defentaly have to try this stuff out

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Replacing Carbon

Good morning Aldon...

Carbon isn't a requirement for good tank conditions. If you follow an aggressive water change schedule by replacing half the tank water weekly, you won't need to replace the carbon in your filter with anything.

I change half the water in my tanks weekly and don't use carbon in my filters. If you feel you have to replace carbon with something, then I recommend a polyfiber pad. These pads keep my tank water crystal clear.

B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts