The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently redid my 40g community tank with a nice driftwood hardscape accented my java fern and anubias nana. Well the previous times I used Java fern I always had a problem with the leaves turning yellow? Can you guys please answer these questions

1. Yellowing leaves is a sign of potassium and iron deficiency right?

2. I would like to swith to dry ferts, because this tank is larger then my planted 10g and 5g so liquid ferts would be too expensive for this large of a tank. So what dry ferts should I buy to solve my dilema in question #1?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Very basically, the nutrients plants need through fertilizer are nitrate, phosphate, potassium and traces (iron etc). To add these you will need the following:

KH2PO4 (phosphate and potassium)
KNO3 (nitrate and potassium)
CSM+B (traces/micros)

If your tapwater is soft and low in calcium or magnesium etc you may also need CaCl (calcium, chloride, one example) and MgSO4 (magnesium, sulfate, epsom salts).

It is also advised to have some bicarbonate to assist in plant growth, particularly in low tech tanks. Also necessary to prevent wild pH swings when injecting CO2. A KH of 3-6 is generally recommended for this purpose. You can use bicarb soda or place crushed coral, shell-grit etc in your filter to increase KH.

Go to Aquarium Nutrient Calculator for calculating dosages, solutions etc.

This tank won't need much fertilizer, only slow growing plants. Start conservatively with your dosing and increase slightly as needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.