The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've referred people to many articles or post in my time here. Today it dawned on me that there should be a list of links. It would have saved me a lot of time if I could have read a list of pertinent articles or posts in one place when I started.

What are some of your bookmarks you couldn't live without? I'll start a list here.

General Information

Low Tech

Nano Tanks

Aquarium Photography

Equipment

Lighting

Substrate

Aquascaping

Hardscapes

Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Bacteria

Algae

Live Stocking

Fish

Shrimp and Invertebrates

Plants

DIY

Books
The Borneo Suckers: Revision of the Torrent Loaches of Borneo (Balitoridae: Gastromyzon, Neogastromyzon)
Natural History Publications (Borneo)
Dr. Tan Heok Hui

Loaches Natural History and Aquarium Care
Managing Editors:
Mark Macdonald and Martin Thoene.

"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Walstad​

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
The stickies at the top of the appropriate forums ate good starting points, imo. If the are not sufficient, maybe we should update / extend them?

v3

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stickies at the top of the appropriate forums ate good starting points, imo. If the are not sufficient, maybe we should update / extend them?

v3
No doubt. I agree. I'll group them all here when I can.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
but seriously, if your a loach person like me you need to read

The Borneo Suckers: Revision of the Torrent Loaches of Borneo (Balitoridae: Gastromyzon, Neogastromyzon)
Natural History Publications (Borneo)
Dr. Tan Heok Hui

Loaches Natural History and Aquarium Care
Managing Editors:
Mark Macdonald and Martin Thoene.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've found a combo of the stickies here, combined with just the knowledge base of the users from answers to questions, have accelerated my own knowledge incredibly. Had zero experience (or skill) with plants and gave up on them about 35 years ago, now I love keeping a planted tank. Was just talking to my wife about the speed of knowledge acquisition from internet databases/forums just this morning. I know that sounds like I'm a million year old guy sitting on his porch yelling at the neighbor kids, but it really is amazing how quickly you can get a question answered now.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I've found a combo of the stickies here, combined with just the knowledge base of the users from answers to questions, have accelerated my own knowledge incredibly. Had zero experience (or skill) with plants and gave up on them about 35 years ago, now I love keeping a planted tank. Was just talking to my wife about the speed of knowledge acquisition from internet databases/forums just this morning. I know that sounds like I'm a million year old guy sitting on his porch yelling at the neighbor kids, but it really is amazing how quickly you can get a question answered now.

Ain't it the truth.
When I began in the hobby,forty year's ago,weren't no book's that weren't way outdated,never even saw pictures of planted tank's ,or at least not like what one can find now.
No one to talk to about fishes/plant's that had hand's on expierience.
Course there wasn't near the misinformation that one has to sift through either, but this is not to say there is not excellent info as well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Zorfox, thank you so much for starting this thread! It is going to be very helpful and I'm bookmarking it. I'm not a total newbie to fish or plant keeping, but I'm still learing and I enjoy reading about this hobby.
Just from the links you first posted I went to AqAdvisor and found out that my tank is really a 23 gallon and all this time (over a year since I bought it used on CL) I have been thinking it was a 25 gallon. Not a big difference, but it's good to know. Also I now know that when I'm done stocking my tank with as many fish as I was planing to get I will be over stocked...:icon_eek:
Very good and helpful info, thank you!

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Thank you. I've not seen this one. That was very enlightening.

It explains EVERY method in use for growing aquatic plants over a 9 different ranges of CO2/light intensities.
They do not state it as such, but it's logically implied.

Nothing else even comes remotely close.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It explains EVERY method in use for growing aquatic plants over a 9 different ranges of CO2/light intensities.
They do not state it as such, but it's logically implied.

Nothing else even comes remotely close.
I learned several things in this article. I was reminded that moving water supplies in nature have a higher CO2 level typically. I had forgotten reading this. More importantly, the impact CO2 can have in low light conditions. Four times the growth rate is impressive. I would have never assumed it was that high without light driving the equation. The triad of light, nutrients, and CO2 does not seem so linear anymore. Without explaining what I learned or didn't basically it put it all together. This article sort of connects the dots to all that information rambling around in my head. Thanks again

Edit: I forgot to ask. In the chart with CO2 and light curves (the first one). How high can we theoretically come to achieving maximum growth using that equation in a planted tank? Sort of like Planted tank utopia.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 27 Posts