The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
unsure about the 1st photo but the second photo is female. Females have pink bellies. Give them some time for their colors to brighten as they get used to their new home and they should be much easier to sex.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
First one looks to be a male,Second one definately female.

Second spine on dorsal fin of males is usually a bit longer than that on the females, and irredescent (sp) blue spots on outside edge of black spot on fishes side often indicates male ,while same irredescent spot's on inside of black spot often indicate a female along with pink belley which will get much darker when spawning approaches.
These are indicator's I have used with fair amount of accuracy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The first one could be a male but the second one is definitely female. When the females are about to lay eggs, their underbelly turns bright pink. The first one might also be a female as its belly seems a light shade of pink but like Adam P. wrote, i would give them some time to get use to their new home.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
can you breed 2 GBRs that are not a pair from the beginning? I think the LFS gave me a male+female(need further verification coz they both look female to me right now) but I have my doubts that they are not a pair that grew up together. I only have this pair of GBR in a tank with kribensis and tiger barbs though.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
unsure about the 1st photo but the second photo is female. Females have pink bellies. Give them some time for their colors to brighten as they get used to their new home and they should be much easier to sex.
Not all the time, there is a member here who bought a group and a couple that had pink bellys ended up being male.

Both look like females to me.
I was going to say the same thing, I think they are both females. The first might just need some time to get used to the surroundings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay came home from work and found them doing this

They were initially fighting but now they follow each other around and guard the eggs together.

Would this be possible with 2 females? Should i try to buy a male?

Any advice would be appreciated =p

·
Registered
121 Posts
You definitely have a pair. Congrats! I wouldn't buy any more. My GBR lay eggs on the driftwood all the time. It takes about 2-3 days before they begin wiggling and then you will have fry. Don't be worried if the first batch doesn't make it, as they tend to have eggs every few weeks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks kindly for your comments Laura.

I feel quite excited. Only 2 days... well worth the wait.
One of the rams is continually guarding the eggs. The other one seems to be off to the other side of the tank. They had a squabble yesterday but seem to be okay with each other today.

Strange creatures they are.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I currently have a pair of these guys roaming around with their school of fry. This is their fifth batch and they have gotten further each time doing it. The last time the had free swimming fry for three days until they disappeared. The eggs will take about 40-48 hours to hatch and then they will simply be little wigglers for a full four days until they become free swimming. Throughout this time the parents may move the eggs/wigglers throughout the tank and as they hatch they will put each egg into their mouth to clean and disinfect them.

Check out this thread that I started regarding them
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/140543-just-got-gbr-eggs.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that is amazing.
I will try not to expect too much as I fear the parents
will just gobble up the eggs. They laid them just last night.
so I removed my ghost knife into the Q tank along with my albino pleco.

So far its been 10 hours. Another 30 to go.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
How big is the pleco? If it's a smaller one like a younger bristle nose, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I have one in my tank with the parents and fry. They should be quite apt at defending them off from the pleco as the only thing it would do would be just getting close to them unintentionally. The pleco won't go after them, but if he gets too near it might frustrate the parents into pushing it along.

Removing the ghost knife is definitely a good call.

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
Okay came home from work and found them doing this

They were initially fighting but now they follow each other around and guard the eggs together.

Would this be possible with 2 females? Should i try to buy a male?

Any advice would be appreciated =p
they both still looks like female to me, they can still lay eggs without male. if you don't see any of them hatch then you will have your answer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts