The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
It occurred to me today that a lot of my problem with creating a dutch tank is my scissor and forceps. I have a 16" forcep that is pretty big on the ends, and my substrate is sand. So I put a stem down, it floats up: over and over. Today I put back the same stem of althernatha reneickii at least 6x. No wonder I keep switching back to sword plants and crypts.

The trimmer is this one

It has the other attachment but I never use it. The first pair the blades would stick together, hang up as I squeezed them and end up yanking a plant out. So I bought another pair but they did the same thing.

What are your fave tools?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Next time you try a reneickii, cut the stem just below a leaf and cut that leaf down to about 1/2" long(on both of the opposing leaves) so it will act as an anchor.
Sorry about the dark picture but my photo shop is out. If you have one you can lighten it though. Everything in the picture is 12" except the big one. It's about $15/w the shipping but the others are less than $10 each including the shipping...form E-bay.
Buying the straight ones and the curved ones seems redundant to me.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14281&pictureid=56402
Price shop on there for free shipping except for the long ones.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i just went on amazon and typed in aquarium plant tools and got all sorts of stainless steel tool options. i got a full set of tools (5 instruments) for about 25$

there were also cheaper options depending what you need.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Using tweezers and planting stems may take you a few times to get down and doing it in sand will take more time and patience. I used Amazon to get all I needed also. Curved and straight scissors have their place for usefulness. Curved work really well with carpet plants and can actually help you with situations where you have a deep tank or a long reach in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all! The choices are mind-boggling.

Raymond, here's your lightened photo: (my photoshop has died too!)

I think I will try both long and short tools. One problem switching to the 90 gallon from a 125 is depth. I could just reach in the 125 to the substrate, if I stretched and kept certain, err, body parts out of the water. In the 90, there's no way to touch substrate without going diving, and I can't possibly see what I'm doing. Makes life harder. BUT I have 2 90's ... so no complaints. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.