The Planted Tank Forum banner

What RO unit should i buy?

1458 6
i dont need 100% pure water but i just want soft water for my rams so that i can breed them.

is it okay to buy a cheap RO unit for like £40 -£60. alot of people say you should buy a £100 RO/DI unit but never tell me why its better than the cheaper ones.

i was looking to buy either this - 50gpd 3 Stage Compact Reverse Osmosis RO Unit Complete With Accessories: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

or this one - RO Unit Ideal For Marine/Reef/Discus Stage 3 50 Gal a Day RO Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

my tank is only a 30 UK gallon tank.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I got a good deal on a group buy from bulkreefsupply on a 5 stage one, I love it and have had no issues with it. Takes my horrible water and makes it 0-1 TDS, and trust me when I say that my water from the tap is horrible. Just remember as with all things, typically "cheaper" comes at the cost of "quality" when it comes to my tanks/fish/shrimp I would rather spend a bit more first and get it right than run into issues later on.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't know the brands you have pick out. For me cost wasn't an issue. I had cheaper one and it was a pain replacing filters it seems to always leak or was hard to seal up. Low cost isn't always the best way to go. You probably only need a three stage for soft water. I bought specpure and it has been really good. I'm getting close to replacing the membrane. Look at those to see what that will cost before buying they recommend every 2 1/2 years.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The greatest cost of an RODI system is going to be replacement media, probably first the DI media, then membranes and prefilters (maybe the reverse depending on volume an quality of membranes -- better prefilters make the membrane last longer).

The problem with many of the small, cute systems can be their replacement media. I didn't research this one, but you should - make sure you know what it will take for say 2-3 years of use. The initial purchase price may not be the most significant aspect.

Personally I prefer the ones with standard, 10 inch prefilters and a refillable DI cartridge so you can buy media in bulk. But i make a lot of water, it may not be as significant for you.

But... these things are a bit like ink jet printers -- you find out after a while the printer is the cheap part!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@benealing i live in the uk and searched the same product on the uk amazon and it was above £100. weird because $70 is equal to approx £45. UK products are just expensive for no reason

Bump: what do you guys thibk about this. my tank is only 30 UK gallons. http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/3-Stage-50-Gallon-Per-Day-Reverse-Osmosis-System.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.