The Planted Tank Forum banner

What "Pruning" Tools needed

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  smp 
#1 ·
Beside a 10" pair of curved scissors, what other tools are usually "needed"?

#3 ·
Those two items are about all you need to do the business, I use the curved scissors & the angled end tweezers.
But as with everything there are minimalists & others who just have to have everything even remotely related to a hobby.

#5 ·
Gotta confess, I have the spatula too (with my initials engraved on it)....Just kidding...They do come in Handy for smoothing out substrate though!! Bought a kit of this forum many moons ago super deal consisted of 10" curved & straight scissors & tweezers + the spatula, think the 5 piece kit was $20 plus shipping I think everyone paid, downside was the zip was broken on the cases & no returns ...Still a good deal.

#6 ·
honestly, you can "get buy" with nothing but your fingers and a pair of school scissors. at least i am... just getting by has made me realize two things. (1) i need to give back my kids scissors. and (2), i think i would really enjoy a nice pair of curved 10" scissors and some real tweezers. imo, you go beyond that and you're just spoiling yourself. (which is ok, hahaha)

#7 ·
Pretty much what I thought, Curved scissors and tweezers. Already have a "spatula" (commonly called a putty knife). Works great.... I smooth it out, fish dig it up....STUPID FISH!! :fish:

Thanks for the input. Off to ebay I go...:)

#12 ·
have the kits, and extra curved scissors etc, but end up using a standard office scissors and a 10" tweezer for almost all jobs. oh and the ada scrapper, dont know how i got by scrubbing algae on the glass by hand with a sponge before. in a pinch i use the scrapper as a spatula also, but its a waste as my fish simply dig everyting up again anyway. damn corys and gobbies.....

#13 ·
in a pinch i use the scrapper as a spatula also, but its a waste as my fish simply dig everyting up again anyway. damn corys and gobbies.....
Gott'a LOVE them stupid fish....:fish:......... don't we? :)

PS....

Corys.....Haven't seen much of mine since I planted....(SMP wonders where them suckers hide?)

#17 ·
I use a pair of long tweezers, a long wooden dowel, and a turkey baster :)

The last one is perfect for squirting detritus from detritus magnets like Dwarf Hairgrass (be sure not to reuse it for your turkey!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.