The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beside a 10" pair of curved scissors, what other tools are usually "needed"?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Those two items are about all you need to do the business, I use the curved scissors & the angled end tweezers.
But as with everything there are minimalists & others who just have to have everything even remotely related to a hobby.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gotta confess, I have the spatula too (with my initials engraved on it)....Just kidding...They do come in Handy for smoothing out substrate though!! Bought a kit of this forum many moons ago super deal consisted of 10" curved & straight scissors & tweezers + the spatula, think the 5 piece kit was $20 plus shipping I think everyone paid, downside was the zip was broken on the cases & no returns ...Still a good deal.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
honestly, you can "get buy" with nothing but your fingers and a pair of school scissors. at least i am... just getting by has made me realize two things. (1) i need to give back my kids scissors. and (2), i think i would really enjoy a nice pair of curved 10" scissors and some real tweezers. imo, you go beyond that and you're just spoiling yourself. (which is ok, hahaha)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty much what I thought, Curved scissors and tweezers. Already have a "spatula" (commonly called a putty knife). Works great.... I smooth it out, fish dig it up....STUPID FISH!! :fish:

Thanks for the input. Off to ebay I go...:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
706 Posts
have the kits, and extra curved scissors etc, but end up using a standard office scissors and a 10" tweezer for almost all jobs. oh and the ada scrapper, dont know how i got by scrubbing algae on the glass by hand with a sponge before. in a pinch i use the scrapper as a spatula also, but its a waste as my fish simply dig everyting up again anyway. damn corys and gobbies.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in a pinch i use the scrapper as a spatula also, but its a waste as my fish simply dig everyting up again anyway. damn corys and gobbies.....
Gott'a LOVE them stupid fish....:fish:......... don't we? :)

PS....

Corys.....Haven't seen much of mine since I planted....(SMP wonders where them suckers hide?)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kit was ordered from ebay at 1:00pm today. Was shipped at 2:19... not bad :)

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
I use a pair of long tweezers, a long wooden dowel, and a turkey baster :)

The last one is perfect for squirting detritus from detritus magnets like Dwarf Hairgrass (be sure not to reuse it for your turkey!).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tools came today. Whole lot bigger and heavier that I thought....well worth the cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.