The Planted Tank Forum banner

What products needed to remineralize RO water for CRS tank? Do I have what I need?

689 6
I am in the process of preparing a tank for keeping crystal red shrimp, and I want to make sure I have all the proper materials/equipment. I just set up an RO water purifier, and purchased Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+. I will be using ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia as well for this tank.

So my question is, are there any other additives I need for adding to my RO water? As I understand it, I should combining a little tap water, the RO water, and the Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ to get the desired GH, KH, and TTS. But I was not entirely sure if there were any other kind of minerals or anything I would need to add in addition to that.

So is the Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ the only thing I need to add to the water? Or is there any additional products I will need? This is my first time doing an RO water shrimp tank so I want to make sure I do everything correct for the water parameters. Thanks for any help/advice in advance!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
17,868 Posts
So my question is, are there any other additives I need for adding to my RO water?
No. You'll need a bottle of Prime for just-in-case moments but that's a given for any tank.

As I understand it, I should combining a little tap water, the RO water, and the Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ to get the desired GH, KH, and TTS.
You will not be adding tap water. Caridina shrimp will need 0 kH. You'll only be using RO/DI water and GH+.

So is the Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ the only thing I need to add to the water?
That's it.

But I recommend reading through a bunch of tank journals here on the forum as well as browsing through the Shrimp section here. Those things will help you with peace of mind as you wait the 4-6 weeks for your tank to be ready for shrimp to move in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. You'll need a bottle of Prime for just-in-case moments but that's a given for any tank.

You will not be adding tap water. Caridina shrimp will need 0 kH. You'll only be using RO/DI water and GH+.

That's it.

But I recommend reading through a bunch of tank journals here on the forum as well as browsing through the Shrimp section here. Those things will help you with peace of mind as you wait the 4-6 weeks for your tank to be ready for shrimp to move in.
Thanks I appreciate it! I probably should have mentioned I will also be using prime as well. I already have cycled media for my sponge filter, but I will still have to wait for the aquasoil to finish leaching out ammonia and also build up enough biofilm as well. So 4-6 weeks sounds about right.

I will definitely read through the journals on the site in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it! I probably should have mentioned I will also be using prime as well. I already have cycled media for my sponge filter, but I will still have to wait for the aquasoil to finish leaching out ammonia and also build up enough biofilm as well. So 4-6 weeks sounds about right.

I will definitely read through the journals on the site in the meantime.
So I've been keeping CRS for over a year . Took about 15 months to get them to breed. I'm using bright water aquatics substrate. Don't be alarmed if it takes a long time for the cycle. Took mine almost 2 months with added filter material.

I'm also using salty bee shimp gh+0.6g gives me 110 tds per gallon which using API test 5gh. (My tank sits around 115 tds) which may vary depending on your pen. I have 2 both read the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where does ShrimpCode fit in?
Good question. I wasn't sure if any other products like that should be used/needed.

Another thing I was wondering about, should I be using any fertilizers for my plants? Right now its just Fissidens Fontanus moss, bucaphalandra, Aponogeton Crispus, and floating plants. I plan to add some other plants/moss once I am sure my pest snails are off of them. But if I only end up changing like 10% of the water per month that means the leftovers of the fertilizers would probably not be getting removed enough. That's the next thing I need to find out that I am still researching. I have seen CRS tanks with bucaphalandra so I wonder how they were handling that. I am also attempting to create a moss wall in the back, but not sure if the Fissidens Fontanus moss is getting enough nutrients or not, although I know it grows very slowly.

Basically:
  • Should I even use plants that probably need ferts, or just remove them
  • Depending on that^ how much water should be changed if at all, per week/month. (I know some people only top it off, or change 10% per month
Right now my tank is still leeching out the ammonia from the aquasoil. So far so good.

·
Administrator
17,868 Posts
You're going to be changing about 15-20% of your water per week with shrimp. You may be able to get away with a monthly water change with a ton (talking years here) more shrimp experience but that's kind of pushing it. Shrimp need minerals to be replenished regularly, waste to be removed and regular tank maintenance.

As far as plants go, it really depends upon the specific plants you want to keep. With shrimp, I always recommend you fertilize as little as possible when you're new. In my well-established shrimp tanks, I almost never have to fertilize much. Waste from the shrimp and minerals from the water are usually enough for mosses and epiphytes. I tend to use enriched substrates but I use root tabs for crypts and the like when I'm using something inert. Supplemental fertilizing only happens when I'm sure a tank needs it. You'd supplement when it becomes clear it's necessary. If you're using ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, your substrate will provide plenty of nutrients for crypts, simple stems and other plants that do well in lower light conditions for quite some time.

The best advice I can give you - and it's never something anyone wants to hear, but I do hope you take it for what it's worth - you need to do a lot more reading here in the shrimp section. Search, read, search some more. Then go through a bunch of shrimp tank journals.

That's not me being dismissive or trying not to answer your questions but that's what will legitimately serve you best. You'll then have the foundation for figuring out the kind of questions you have remaining and will allow you to come up with tons more you didn't know you had.

Note that ShrimpCode doesn't really fit in anywhere. You'd be paying for water weight instead of just using straight mineral salts, which are waaay cheaper. SaltyShrimp GH+ will be more than sufficient for your needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts