The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gallon tank that currently houses three tiger oscars (1 1/2" each) and three gold severums (1 3/4" each) as well as two Schwatrz cories and three rubber-lipped plecos. Are there any plants that I could add to this tank that the cichlids would not destroy? Or should I keep this as a fish only tank? I know that I will have to move the oscars and severums to one of my bigger tanks within the next two years because of their growth- I want to turn this into a planted tank for dwarf cichlids over that time period by adding plants slowly while waiting for my current fish to outgrow the tank. Any suggestions on low light and low maintenance plants that are indestructible would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Onion plant, Anubias...However I think we need to discuss whats best for your oscars.

3 in a 30 gallon tank? Move em to your bigger tanks, an Oscar can EASILY occupy a 55 by himself. 1 oscar in a 75 is more like it. "two years because of their growth" A lot less actually.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Onion plant, Anubias...However I think we need to discuss whats best for your oscars.

3 in a 30 gallon tank? Move em to your bigger tanks, an Oscar can EASILY occupy a 55 by himself. 1 oscar in a 75 is more like it. "two years because of their growth" A lot less actually.
I do plan on moving them to a 110 g once they get to the 3-4" size, and I do realize how big they can get and also how quickly they can grow. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Then you are also aware this could STUNT their growth and cause INTERNAL organ issues as well.

As far as plants for in a Cichlid tank there arent much options. Java fern and Onion plants seems to do ok.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
for rooted plants put them in pots, you can leave the pots exposed or bury them in the substrate and then put rocks around the plant over the pot.

The big problem with large cichlids is that they uproot the plants when digging, keeping the plants in pots with rocks around the prevents or keeps replants at a minimum.

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I managed to grow crypts and Hygrophila corymbosa ‘Kompakt’ in my cichlid tank, as well as the obligatory anubias. The crypts and hygro were planted directly in the sand.

Here's a pic of my cichlid tank back when I was keeping live plants in it. It's a 90g with mostly haps, peacocks, and yellow labs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.