The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating what plants to put in the next 5.5g nano tank I'll be setting up and am slowly preparing for. The light will be a single 18w 6700k T5 bulb (30") plus 70 LED christmas lights to add a little more blue to it, or to use as moonlighting or something. I really don't know if they will add anything to the plants or not, but I thought they might look neat, so I used them.

I am not sure if I will do CO2 or not. If the lighting is such that I feel the tank needs it, I might do DIY CO2 or something and possibly get pressurized later.

I'll be using plain old tap water. My pH is slightly above 7, moderately hard, though I haven't tested for gH or kH. I know it's not as hard as the city water though, since I always had huge problems with hard water deposits in the shower and such, and it's much less a problem since I've lived here.

The tank is 30" long, 8" deep, and 6" wide, so I don't want any stem plants that will grow way too fast and get too tall for the tank. So far I'm wanting to include the following plants

Needle Leaf Java Fern
Cryptocoryne Wendittii “Bronze” or “Red”
Cryptocoryne Lucens
Anubas petite nana
Fissidens fontanus
and maybe some Blyxa Japonica and bolbitis

The taller plants like the needle leaf and crypt wendittii will be used to hide some plumbing in the tank, so they will be in the background.

What I'm wanting are rosette plants (or short, compact stem plants that kind of look like rosette plants) that stay fairly small and do not spread like crazy (like dwarf sag does) and will do good in this tank with the lighting and water that I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Substrate, not sure. I know I will be using some pretty sand on top, but I haven't decided on if I should put anything underneath it, but I'm thinking I probably should. I've never used any of the pre-packaged plant substrates like aquasoil or stratum, so I'm a little hesitant to get any. I've always had good luck with plain sand or kitty litter in the past.

I'll have some manzanita in the tank too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested my tap water lastnight because my shrimp was giving me a heart attack acting really weird (I think now it was getting ready to molt, i've kept the lights off and am leaving it alone with an artificial cave)

so my tap pH is about 7.8, with CO2 in my 40 its 6.8. That's right out of the tap, not after letting it sit. The tap kH is around 5, but my tests are expired, so I don't know how accurate that is. I may have to do something in my little tank to lower the pH as it seems the sand I chose buffers. I used some in my 10gal Betta tank and it has a pH of 8.0. Either that or some of the dissolved CO2 from the water when it's under pressure in the pipes dissipates and raises the pH slightly once it comes out of the tap. I may try using part RO water and part tap to help lower the pH a bit. It's such a small tank, I can't imagine it would cost much to use a gallon or two of RO water.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Stratum is good stuff. I have it and it works. Also helps buffers the water as well.
You'd still need to add ferts though. I see your custom build on your 5 gallon tank. Awesome tank and great dimensions. :^)

You'll get extra light from the windows which is a plus for your plants.
Some wendtii will get too large for that type of a tank.
Parva is a great crypt that will stay low.
Dwarf hairgrass is another good foreground you might want to look into as well.

-Gordon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.