The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Linear-Fluorescent-Lighting-48-Inch/dp/B000VK05JU

It will be on a 40 gallon long aquarium. Just wondering what I could grow :) I'm thinking moderate light plants, maybe moderate to high light?
Hi Allistor,

If I'm not mistaken the Hagen 48" T5HO has as a pretty good reflector and uses 2X54 watt bulbs. I don't know the depth of that particular tank, but I would say about medium light. If you went with higher with the light intensity you would probably need CO2.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
The tank is 16 inches tall :) Thanks!
Hi Allistor,

The tank is almost 17" tall; assuming about 2" for substrate your PAR value should be about 58 with is medium to medium high. If you don't go with CO2 I would suggest a moderate photoperiod and using a carbon additive like Seachem Excel. You should be able to grow most plant species except those requiring high light.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hi jbrady33,

A 48 Finnex would be almost 90 PAR, definitely high light, and almost ensure the need for CO2.
That's the Ray2 - the Fugeray (same aluminum case, less LEDs) would be around 50 PAR at 17" (17" tank, 2" substrate, fugeray brackets are about 2" high)

Great light, I have 2 (the tanks in my sig)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
48" fugeray is a little more than 48 par at that depth. I do not see how a Fugeray is too much light, meriting CO2, when the Hagen 2 bulb setup has more PAR.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hi TexasCichlid,

I was looking at Hoppy's chart, possibly I am reading it incorrectly.

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
Hi Allistor,

If I'm not mistaken the Hagen 48" T5HO has as a pretty good reflector and uses 2X54 watt bulbs. I don't know the depth of that particular tank, but I would say about medium light. If you went with higher with the light intensity you would probably need CO2.
I was replying to this post referencing the 2 bulb version. I do not know the PAR of the single bulb version. The 48" Fugeray is not listed on that chart of Hoppy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
That fixture the OP has linked is the single bulb fixture BTW.
Hi BriDroid,

It looks like you are correct; in that case a single 54 watt bulb would would result in 'low/medium light'.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Here are the PAR charts for Finnex (both models):
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944

Seattle_Aquarist: There are 3 Finnex fixtures on Hoppy's chart, the second from the bottom is the Fugeray, light green dashed line. The real PAR also depend on length and FugeRay or RayII model line.

jonathan: There is, the 36 Gallon tank in my sig is a 30" Fugeray (low/medium light), and the 30" RayII high light fisture comes out in early January.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.