The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I think some of the plant experts only search for those that include "Plant ID" in the title or posts.

I for one, don't have the slightest clue what that plant is. But if I had to guess, I would say it may be some type of Ceratophyllum, some type of other wort plant, slight possibility of it being a Cabomba sp? But the bugs make the leaves look huge and the plant growth looks different from typical aquarium conditions. Maybe it's a type of fern very rare to the hobby? Again, I have no idea, just guessing from the look of the leaves.

For others to reference, I found some info on the water scorpions which might help narrow down what plant this may be based on the location and water conditions.
Water scorpion photo - Nepa cinerea - A8753 | ARKive
Seems they are widespread in Britain. Found in still and/or shallow waters. Mainly found in brackish water if I am not mistaken. Only get 1-2 inches max.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
I've grown hornwort, but it looks different to me.

. . . it may be some type of Ceratophyllum, some type of other wort plant, slight possibility of it being a Cabomba sp? Maybe it's a type of fern very rare to the hobby?

Mainly found in brackish water if I am not mistaken. Only get 1-2 inches max.
It's not a fern, I don't see the Cabomba connection, however I can see it being some type of Ceratophyllum. All good thoughts!

Water Scorpions can be found in brackish water, but are not mainly found there. They require fresh water for survival. They can only visit brackish for short periods, just like they can only visit chlorinated pools for short periods.

Great catch on the size of the water scorpion. I'm used to the African Nepa sp. being around 3 to 5 inches in size (I had some as pets years ago, I miss them!). It seems the European ones max out around 2 inches (still big for insects though!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.