The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LET THIS THREAD MARK MY FIRST PLANTED TANK EPIC FAIL

so i always read those "epic DIY failure" threads in good spirit, feeling sorry for the people who had their tanks bust, or their buckets knock over...or their entire tanks drain out onto the floor.
oh, but i never thought it could happen to me. nope, never.

and then it DID.
i guess i made the biggest error in judgment of my life today, when i decided that since the DIY CO2 wasn't working (i think the water in the bottle was too hot when i dropped the yeast in, or i added too much oil or something), i would disconnect the bottle. ...and leave the airline pushed into the intake of my filter.
WHOOPS.
so you can see where that was leading.
that was like an hour and a half ago.
about half an hour ago, i thought to myself: "gee, i have to use the restroom!"
and boy, am i glad i had to go when i did...
it was like something from a horror movie... i walked to my bathroom (where my tank is situated, THANK GOD) and the filter sounded REALLY loud. like...the water level was low! and i stepped farther in, and my feet were wet! and i looked at my tank.... and water had drained out! and then i noticed the cap of the DIY CO2 bottle...with the airline still in it. and a puddle of water coming from the airline.
oh man, it was NOT pretty. water EVERYWHERE, all over my bathroom. i tossed a lot of things, used pretty much every single towel i had...
but... lesson learned! and i'm glad it wasn't my BEDROOM tank i did this to. oh geez, that would not be good.

when i refilled the tank, i found about 2.5-3 gallons of 10 had drained ;-;
my MTS all seem alright though (thank god i didn't have any fish in yet...). and i think my heater shut itself off, it didn't seem burnt, melted, or otherwise damaged.

everything is pretty much dry now, and on the upside... my bathroom is the cleanest it's been in ages!
now to pray that my parents don't find out, because if they did...my current tanks will be GONE and i'll never get another one again ;-;

okay, just had to chronicle that...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Siphons are dangerous..
Sumps still boggle my mind sometimes - I see people with no fail safe and they are running a full siphon and praying that their pump never fails or the power goes out.
Scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Siphons are dangerous..
Sumps still boggle my mind sometimes - I see people with no fail safe and they are running a full siphon and praying that their pump never fails or the power goes out.
Scary stuff.
they ARE oh my geez. that was an unexpected siphon though, created by the intake of an HOB and some airline tubing (and past that, my bad judgment)... scary stuff (indeed)! <-- lol didn't realize i used your phrasing

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is why we use check valves :O

Btw, what oil are you using for DIY CO2?
yeeaaahh... i have them on my other tank, i was too dumb to pick any up for this one (i WILL now).

just a couple drops of cooking oil on the top, it works wonders for preventing any "scum" from building up/going into your bubble counter or tank
i put more in this one than the other, i think it may have caused the CO2 bubbles to not be able to get through...

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
Thank goodness you discovered it and not your parents! :eek:

These things just happen. I had a 29g tank self destruct on me one night. Sat there doing nothing and then all of a sudden —CRACK!— and water started pouring everywhere. The back glass cracked from the top to about 2" to the bottom. There was nothing I could do to stop it. And this was on carpet in a 3rd story apartment around 2am! I had to race home (the apartment was in addition to my house) to get my steam cleaner to suck up the water. It took about a week for the carpet and padding to be completely dry again.

Then there was the time when the hose fell off the python. Anyone feel like hosing down the bedroom walls and ceiling?

Or when I thought I'd release some of the pressure on my python by turning the knob halfway at the sink and halfway at the hose. Um.... fail. Even halfway pushes water through the python. Duh! This time it was my bathroom that got hosed down.

Or the time I was at a LFS talking to the owner when all of a sudden one of his tanks started overflowing. Yeah, it's not wise to be doing a water change while helping a talkative customer. At least his floors are clean now.

I could keep going all night with stories like this. The one thing that makes it all good is that it's just water. Even water from the tank is still good, healthy water. If a fish can live in it, then it can't hurt us that much. :biggrin:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lol. I was siphoning some water into a bucket cleaning my bettas tank once, took me until my feet were wet to notice the hose wasn't even in the bucket. Thats about the extent of my mishaps so far

·
Registered
180 Posts
In my old house I had my tanks in the basement...where there was fortunately a sump pump.

...and it got a workout a couple times. Nowadays, with tanks set up on carpeted floors, upstairs and downstairs...no way I can pull and old school "oops" without it costing thousands. :(

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same thing happened to me. I unhooked diy co2 and the tank siphoned out 20% of the water luckily I caught it! A wet/dry vac helps.
ah, but my parents would have noticed if i had taken the shop-vac from the garage! so towels. lots and lots of towels...and rags...and paper towels...
so glad the floor is tile.

Thank goodness you discovered it and not your parents!
oh wow, i know, right?? i'd be in so much trouble right now...

The one thing that makes it all good is that it's just water. Even water from the tank is still good, healthy water. If a fish can live in it, then it can't hurt us that much.
that's true, but the tank of mine in question is in the middle of a fishless cycle with seeded media, and i fed the tank with flake food... it's pretty gross water. not entirely uninhabitable (i do have MTS), but full of nitrites and possibly ammonia... yech.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Siphons are dangerous..
Scary stuff.
a drilled hole in the outflow is a great measure. that siphon breaks in 2 seconds or less on mine. best thing i ever did, cause every check valve i put on would hold the pressure but water would seep around the edges and slowly fill the sump up. i just break the siphon now

i would never run a full siphon on the drain line either. its too dangerous IMO and c02 is a whole lot easier to add than cleaning up water

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
You mention the heater shut itself down. You might want to watch that heater for a time when it begins to be needed again. While they do shut themselves down, it is often after the little plate of metal has been bent and they may not work any more. I buy used tanks and equipment and I often find the heater s are not what I call safe to use. I only trust them in the reserve water barrel until I see they truly do work right. When the outside temperature gets this warm, I disconnect all heaters as I know room temperature with lights and filters added will be plenty for the tank.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You mention the heater shut itself down. You might want to watch that heater for a time when it begins to be needed again. While they do shut themselves down, it is often after the little plate of metal has been bent and they may not work any more. I buy used tanks and equipment and I often find the heater s are not what I call safe to use. I only trust them in the reserve water barrel until I see they truly do work right. When the outside temperature gets this warm, I disconnect all heaters as I know room temperature with lights and filters added will be plenty for the tank.
MANY +1's on not trusting the heater.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
ah, but my parents would have noticed if i had taken the shop-vac from the garage! so towels. lots and lots of towels...and rags...and paper towels...
so glad the floor is tile.
but wont they notice all the rags, towels and paper towels are dirty?

MANY +1's on not trusting the heater.
ditto! my first tank came with a used heater, i used it not knowing anything about it. it worked great, until i turned the knob ever so slightly to bring the temp up on degree. when i came home from class my tank had gone from 75 to 91! haven't used a heater since

·
Pelvicachromis Lover!
5,106 Posts
I don't know why people even need heaters. I keep my house at 70° and my tanks are still too warm for a heater. Even my small 5g tank stays worm using the standard T5NO bulb that came with it (eclipse tank).

I started out buying heaters because it seemed they were needed since everyone else used them. Then I just stopped using them, thinking maybe I'd need them in the winter. After a while, I just got rid of them all. Just no point in having them.

I wonder how many people use heaters like I did, thinking they need one because everyone else has one, but not knowing their tanks would be fine without one.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't know why people even need heaters. I keep my house at 70° and my tanks are still too warm for a heater. Even my small 5g tank stays worm using the standard T5NO bulb that came with it (eclipse tank).

I started out buying heaters because it seemed they were needed since everyone else used them. Then I just stopped using them, thinking maybe I'd need them in the winter. After a while, I just got rid of them all. Just no point in having them.

I wonder how many people use heaters like I did, thinking they need one because everyone else has one, but not knowing their tanks would be fine without one.

i have 5 tanks up and running and all of them are hotter than i would like with out a heater. i use my a/c to cool all of my tanks.

my house is 76 degrees, and my tak will drop below that. without a heater. i lose a gallon of water per day due to evaporation.

a gallon?!?!?! maybe you should try leaving out a bowl of water, the extra moisture from it should slow down the evap from your tank.

·
Registered
487 Posts
yup due to lazyness and being ill prepared, i have lost a lap top, desktop, 55'' led tv that was bran new, stereo, system.... a 32'' tv.... and a desk worth over 1,000$ let alone all the bathroom damage, i gotta learn that my fish rooms shouldnt have electronics lol

the price you pay, the bigger the tank, the bigger the risk..... ugh....

·
Registered
728 Posts

I wish I could keep my house at 70!! My ac can't even get the house to a constant 74 lol. Florida sucks. I have a heater in my Bettas tank. Safe enough to say I don't think it's ever turned on. Lol. Except when I leave the windows open the 2-3 days a year it's below 60

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i have 5 tanks up and running and all of them are hotter than i would like with out a heater. i use my a/c to cool all of my tanks.

a gallon?!?!?! maybe you should try leaving out a bowl of water, the extra moisture from it should slow down the evap from your tank.
open top, overflow, and sump.. 340 gph through a 29 gallon tank. lots of surface agitation.
super lighting

1 - 20 of 45 Posts